Google+

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Veggies Freaked with Goat-Cheese Sauce


Veggies and Tofu Freaked with snowy Goat Cheese Sauce.

So Christmas was a little different this year. I woke up Christmas morning to discover a weird red mottled rash all over my body, arms, and legs. I panic. My arms feel strange and tingly. My heart's still beating, but sporadically. I have a sense of the surreal. Hubby laughs "You just slept on it weird". Yeah, I just slept on my whole skin weird. Onto the Internet, plug in "mottled rash" and come up with a number of credible possibilities: Dengue fever, Lupus. The children both awake late, coughing and sneezing. I make the call - to Dr. A, doc supreme, bro-in-law, foodie. "What you have is a viral exanthem" he says with Holmesian flourish. I look it up on the Internet....he's right. I'll live to see another day. To care for my two sick children, who today both have lacy rashes on their cheeks. To cook another healthful vegetarian meal.

Given the evidence, I believe we're suffering from Fifth Disease, a virus that produces mild cold symptoms along with the characteristic rash in young children. Harder on adults, it is associated with aching joints and muscles.

So the Christmas meal I had planned was simplified. I enjoyed the Field Roast Celebration Roast, but skipped the en croute. The roast potatoes were heavenly though, as were the Brussels Sprouts (a lower fat version of the fab recipe posted at Orangette).

And, of course, no English Christmas would be complete without the (vegetarian) Christmas Pudding, doused in brandy, set alight:



then topped with unbeat heavy cream.

So, the delicious orange cauliflower and goat cheese sauce became part of this evening's meal: veggies freaked with goat cheese sauce.

Here's wishing you excellent health for the upcoming New Year!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. Your rash and resulting sickness sounds horrible. Rest up, feel better.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those veggies look so good.
It seems like a lot of people were sick this Christmas, including me. Hope you feel better!

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Orange cauliflower. So cool.
Feel well. 2006 has been a complete bummer; we're due for some good lovin'.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked out your virus, chances of getting it from half way across the world via internet - 0%.... good. Hope you all are feeling better soon. Wow a bro-in-law, foodie and doctor all in one. A foodie doctor is cool enough, but when he'e related - even better.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Hope you're feeling better!

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home