Google+

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Greek Cauliflower & Potato Gratin


Although yesterday's Orange Cauliflower Roman Style was excellent, this roasted cauliflower and potato gratin with Greek flavors did a better job of showcasing the lovely orange cauliflower.

As the cauliflower is roasted, its less watery texture really shines through and is enhanced by the roasted garlic flavor. The saltiness of capers, olives, and feta is an excellent match for the cauliflower and a wonderful contrast to the creamy potatoes and glossy cherry tomatoes.

Inspired by Karina's recipe for Cauliflower Baked with Wine & Tomatoes, which provided me with a new flavor combo for cauliflower: red wine, capers, and tomatoes, this gratin roasts the cauliflower, parboiled purple potatoes (say that 3 times fast!), cherry tomatoes, and red onions with lots of minced garlic and a little olive oil. Once the roasting is complete I added cubes of tofu, organic baby spinach, capers, chopped green olives, and pine nuts to the mix. Topped with a little grated mozzarella and crumbled feta, and this was an outstanding meal!

Next time I'll saute the tofu with herbs (it seemed bland compared to the other ingredients). Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing!

Greek Cauliflower & Potato Gratin

1/2 cauliflower (orange is nice!), cut into florettes
3 medium potatoes (I used purple), cut onto 1" cubes
10 cherry tomatoes
2 small red onions, quartered
1-2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp capers
4 oz tofu, cubed
1/3 cup red wine
3 tbsp pine nuts (or more!)
large handful of baby spinach leaves
8 green olives, sliced
1-2 oz grated mozzarella
2-3 oz crumbled feta

Preheat oven to 400. Put the cut potatoes in a saucepan of salted water and bring to a boil. Boil 2-3 minutes and drain. Remove skins. Put cauliflower florettes, cherry tomatoes, red onions and potatoes in an ovenproof dish. Stir in minced garlic and olive oil. Roast vegetable for 35-40 minutes. Remove and turn heat to 350.

Add capers, tofu, spinach, olives, red wine, and pine nuts to the roasted veggies and stir gently. Top with mozzarella and feta and bake for 15-20 minutes.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, that looks really good catherine, I think I might be trying that in the next few days. I love all those flavours (olives, pine nuts, capers, etc). Thanks for the recipe.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

welcome Kathryn! These flavors really went well with the roasted cauliflower. It makes a tasty change from the typical cheese sauce treatment.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks excellent - don't think I've seen the orange cauliflower before, must look for that.
Thanks for thinking about me. Yes, I have been gone awhile. Hope to get something posted soon and will let you know.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the recipe Catherine, I made it last night. Changed a few things around according to what I had in the cupboard already, but it worked really well. I do like the fact that after a few minutes chopping it basically cooks itself. I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now, but this is the first one of your recipes I've tried. Cheers.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

kathryn - I'm so glad you enjoyed this! Thanks for saying so!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Great idea! I keep craving healthy, vegetable-y, vegetarian meals that are also warm and comforting without being full of cheese or pasta - this is a great idea! I may riff on it soon.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Vanessa,

Feta is great if you're trying to cut back on the cheese (something I'm generally trying to do), because it packs so much flavor that you don't need to use much to enhance other flavors. The capers are an excellent pairing too.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

What gorgeous colours, it looks absolutely delicious!

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home