Google+

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Cauliflower Baked with Wine & Tomatoes



I'll start this off by saying this was a tough photo and this dish tastes wonderfully rich and satisfying, while not being the prettiest. It was so good, in fact, that we passed on the butter, and dipped our Italian baguette into the sauce to soak it up!

I've been looking for different cauliflower recipes, something beyond cauliflower cheese and cauliflower curry. I found this excellent recipe for Cauliflower Baked with Wine & Tomatoes in our very own Karina's (Gluten-Free Goddess) Cooking By The Seasons. OK, so it's listed as an Autumn dish - we enjoyed it today and it was baking!

I changed her recipe by adding broccoli in with the cauliflower ( a hubby preference) and instead of using Asiago cheese, I used a local Zesty Firehouse Jack and feta. Oh yes, and I threw in a few pine nuts! Its a rich, hearty, tangy dish - the cauliflower and the red wine are a great match!

Cauliflower Baked with Wine & Tomatoes (adapted from Cooking By The Seasons)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cauliflower, cut into florettes
1/2 cup broccoli
1 can Italian tomatoes (14 oz), diced
1/2 cup red wine
1 tbsp capers, rinsed
1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
asiago or cheese of choice, grated
feta cheese, crumbled
pine nuts

Preheat oven to 350. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cauliflower and saute for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, tomatoes, red wine, capers, rosemary, parsley and salt and pepper. Place in a buttered dish and top with grated cheese and pine nuts. Bake for 20 minutes. Add feta and bake an additional 10 minutes.

Serve with plain pasta and bread.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

This does sound just delicious. I have the book but haven't cooked anything out of it yet. (In fact, I haven't been cooking much at all, but I'm finally getting caught up on the garden so I'll have more time.)

4:49 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I will definitely have to look for this cookbook!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to give it a try!!! Lovely list of ingredients!

7:48 PM  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

i ahev always believe that home cooked meal dont have to look good but will be a plus point. The taste however, thats another story. For me, its a MUST.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I really loved this dish - it was very tasty and different! Karina's cookbook has some really original combinations that I've really enjoyed!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just tried this recipe and was happy with the results. I followed your recipe, but used a combo of cheeses as well as pouring half the mixture in a baking dish, adding a layer of cheese, adding the rest of the mixture, baking 20 minutes and then adding another layer of cheese for the final 10 minutes. Since I was looking for a meal, I added cannillini beans and serve with orzo pasta. Yummmm!!!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Toomuchwine,

Thanks for sharing your variation - sounds wonderful.

I think chickpeas would also work with this dish if you're looking to pump up the protein.

8:36 AM  
Blogger K Allrich said...

Hi Catherine!

I just [finally] stumbled across this post! Thank you for mentioning the cookbook and blogging about this recipe. Your version of the dish looks delicious.

Thank you! :-)

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home