Google+

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Potato, Bean & Gorgonzola Gratin



There's a chill in the air and a potato gratin with rich Gorgonzola was my supper vision. I had a bag of beautiful red, gold, and purple potatoes from Trader Joes that I couldn't wait to use, as well as some fine green and yellow beans.

As Sweetpea's soccer practice gave me a late start, I cheated and parboiled the potatoes until just tender. I tossed the trimmed green and yellow beans in with the potatoes for the last two minutes. I then drained the veggies and put them in my favorite gratin dish, along with a handful of cooked navy beans (enough to add a little extra protein, but not be too noticeable).

I made my basic Gorgonzola Cheese Sauce, but added a large clove of minced garlic along with the grated cheese at the end. I poured the sauce over the veggies and topped with more grated Gorgonzola and walnut pieces. I baked the gratin at 375 for 20 minutes, then popped it under the grill for 2 minutes to brown the top.

It was rich and creamy and wonderfully comforting! The beans' fresh taste made a pleasant contrast to the creamy spuds. It was so good I ate two full servings. Serve with a big glass of your favorite red wine.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

This looks and sounds amazing! I have vegetarians coming to visit this weekend and I've been trying to figure out something hearty and cheesy to make for them. Thanks for this recipe.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm cooking this at the weekend, I'm craving both cheese and vegetables at the moment. Nice recipe Catherine!

:)

5:22 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Lydia & Dianne,

Thanks for your comments. I loved this but also think it would be totally fab with chunks of tofu too (or in place of the navy beans). I just used leftovers in a pasta dish and it was absolutely lovely!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Looks amazing.. And I love the pototo bit, being a potato lover myself...

11:36 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Anthony - welcome to you! Can't beat spuds and these purple ones are gorgeous!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home