Google+

Friday, October 13, 2006

Japanese Vegetable Soup with Fresh Ginger (for a Sore Throat)


It's been so long since I've been sick, it took a while for the truth to dawn on me. Cranky, low energy, headache, but when I awoke at 5am with what felt like a golf ball in my throat...reality dawned.

But clearly I'm not that sick, because my mind immediately leapt to work, dreaming up healthy concoctions to rid me of this sore throat, stuffy nose, and out-of-character malaise. Beyond the requisite salt water gargles, of course...unpleasant, but effective, I think.

So here was my opportunity to try out the new Trader Joe's Organic Soy Ginger Broth I'd purchased. I had sugar snap peas, scallions, carrots, white mushrooms, and the enoki mushrooms I had forgotten to use with the Miso Tofu. So all I did was heat up the broth with the snap peas, carrots, and mushrooms. Towards the end, I added some chopped fresh ginger and garlic, and topped the soup with the scallions.

The soup certainly looked like good health in a bowl!

It was delicious, except I found the broth a little bland. I added a little miso, which really brightened up the flavor. The vegetables were wonderful, still firm. Go crazy with the fresh ginger and garlic - zingy, with plenty of sinus-clearing impact.

Verdict on the Broth: a little steep at $3 for a quart, and easily replicated, but nice to have handy in a pinch.

4 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

Hey Catherine! This *does* look like good health in a bowl! I tend to agree with you on boxed broths - a little miso is like it's own bullion cube and as a person without a car I don't like to drag home anything heavy I don't have to! I think we were on the same page because a couple of weeks ago I made this soup for myself - garlic and ginger not only feel wonderful on a rough throat, they really do have antibacterial healing properties!

5:35 PM  
Blogger vasilisa said...

just found this post :-)

But have to comment, cause there is absolutely nothing better than a soup when sick. It's the ultimate comfort food!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Vanessa - yes, I saw your recipe. Looked really good!

Soup is the ultimate food for colds!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

Trader Joes have since discontinued this soy ginger broth and i really liked it with udon noodles and tempura vegetable and shrimp. I see that the ingredients are:
Filtered water
Organic rice syrup
Organic soy sauce
Organic mirin
Organic ginger
Sea salt
Organic kombu powder (sea vegetable)

Now i just need to figure out how to recreate it!! Any help would be appreciated.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home