Google+

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Spinach Salad with White Stilton with Apricots


White Stilton is a very different cheese from Blue Stilton. White Stilton has a mild, fresh taste and a crumbly texture. It's made in the same way as Blue Stilton, but the blue mould isn't added and the cheese is sold at 3 weeks rather than 9 weeks. It's a cheese that is commonly paired with fruit and White Stilton blends are now common with apricots, cranberries, or ginger.

I picked up a White Stilton with Apricots blend at Trader Joes and have been happily snacking on this very delicious, bright and fresh tasting cheese. It's sweet, but there's nothing clawing about the sweetness. It's awfully good on its own, but I wanted to make something with it and was stunned at the lack of White Stilton recipes out there. So, inspired by the blueberry-feta salad from earlier this week, I made a spinach salad with White Stilton with Apricots, avocado, and pistachios. The result was quite a triumph! My only problem was that my avocado was slightly too ripe - be sure to use one that is still firm. I experimented with vinegars and like balsamic with this best (over red and white wine vinegars). I also experimented with the nuts. I chose pistachios, but I think you could easily substitute either walnuts or almonds and have an excellent result.

Spinach Salad with White Stilton with Apricots (serves 2):
1-1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 +1/8 tsp balsamic vinegar
6 oz baby spinach
3 oz White Stilton with Apricots, crumbled
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/4 cup pistachios (I used roasted and salted) or walnuts or almonds

Whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. In a salad bowl, combine spinach, White Stilton, avocado and pistachios. Drizzle dressing over salad mixture and toss gently. Serve immediately.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note to tell you how much I have been enjoying your blog. I'm a lapsed almost vegetarian with an adult vegetarian son. You've been an inspiration to get back on the wagon. The advent of summer also helps! Your food is elegant and stylish and you have really nice sides which sometimes vegetarians neglect. Thank you.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Lynn,

Thank you. Your comment means a lot to me and is really what this blog is all about. I really believe its possible to eat healthy, delicious food without spending a fortune or hours in the kitchen.

And you're right, summer does help speed up the preparation.

Thanks again,
Catherine

9:17 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Your salad sounds wonderful. I love TJ's & will look for the Stilton. Can't wait to do your salad!

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home