Google+

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Farmers' Market Bounty



Look at the lovely red and yellow organic carrots I found yesterday at the Farmers Market! They're sweet and taste just like their orange counterparts. Red carrots get their color from lycopene, the powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes and other red fruits.

And next to the carrots are Chioggia Beets, an Italian heirloom beet that has alternating white and pink rings inside. These are going to be beautiful in a salad!

I also got more green garlic, arugula, herbs, and, of course, my weekly dose of dinosaur kale.

Happy Spring!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are beautiful!!

10:19 AM  
Blogger winedeb said...

Oh I wish we had a nice farmer's market here in Key West. Those veggies look awesome. That is one thing I miss from Ohio. We do have a market here that does his best to get us fresh produce, but it not the same as fresh from the farmers stand. Keep up the great photos!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Oh, I am having such a hard time reading posts and looking at wonderful photos from farmers' markets! Here in New England, the markets are months away. I am green with envy....

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farmers markets can be so much fun! Isn't it amazing how different supermarket and homegrown foods look and taste?

Ari (Baking and Books)

6:23 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Beautiful! I can't wait until the summer for the market.. it takes forever around this neck of the woods to enjoy local produce.

11:57 AM  
Blogger K Allrich said...

I love red carrots! I haven't seen any here for awhile...

Those are beauties!

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home