Google+

Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Quiche with Kale, Leeks & Potato


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

As we've been enjoying sunny warm weather here, this year's St. Patrick's Day dish took traditional Irish ingredients and turned them into a light, flavorful quiche.  Kale, leeks, potatoes and Irish Cheddar made a delicious combination with the eggs and crisp pastry crust.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

I boiled some little fingerling potatoes and dino kale separately until just tender. I sliced the cooked potatoes and drained the kale, squeezed as much water out of the cooked kale as I could, then chopped it fine.  A leek was sliced then sauteed in lovely, salty Kerrygold butter, then I added the kale to the leeks as soon as I turned off the heat to dry it out a little more.

I use a quiche custard recipe adapted from The Green's Cookbook by Deborah Madison. I use 2 eggs, plus one egg yolk, which are beaten with enough half-and-half to make a total of 1 1/2 cups of custard.  Add some sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

I used a premade frozen pie crust. I always put it on a baking sheet before I add the custard so it easily makes it to the oven without spilling.  I covered the bottom of the crust with grated Kerrygold Irish cheddar cheese, added 2/3 of the kale/leek mixture over the top and placed some potato slices evenly around the quiche. I then add the egg custard and top it off with the rest of the kale/leeks mixture a few more potato slices and a little more grated cheddar.

Bake for about 30 minutes, until a sharp knife in the center produces no liquid.

Pretty and delicious!

For more St. Patrick's Day recipe, follow the link below.

St. Patrick's Day recipes from previous years

6 Comments:

Anonymous Şifalı Bitkiler said...

I jut had it and it was awesome! Thank you for sharing!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd like to invite you to join the CookEatShare Author Network. I really enjoy your blog and I think the over 1 million unique montly visitors to CookEatShare.com will too.

By joining our Author Network, your blog posts will be indexed and users will be guided to your actual blog when searching your recipes or profile.

The service is free and easy to sign up for. Simply visit www.cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply or contact me at Kyra@cookeatshare.com. You'll get a unique link to claim and customize your profile. We look forward having you in our network!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Perfect use for all of my backyard fresh eggs! Thanks for posting!

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Wonderful quiche. I served this at Easter and received rave reviews from my friends. Now I want to try the the lasagna....thanks for sharing!

Canmore Blinds

3:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've got a batch of this dish in the oven now. Thank you, Catherine, I'm a regular fan of your blog and creativity. Is there a way to keyword-search this blog? Would you consider it? Thank you!
Joseph

2:46 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks for all the comments.

Joseph - in the top left hand corner there is a blog search function that should work for you!

Happy eating!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home