Google+

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Beet Salad with Beet Greens, Feta & Walnuts



I love beets, but had never used the beet greens, mostly because they rarely look fresh. However, I got a nice bunch of beets at the Farmers Market yesterday and the leaves looked pretty good, which led me to include them in this otherwise, common blend of beets, feta and walnuts.

I cooked the beets in a 450 oven, wrapped in foil, for about an hour. I stemmed the beet greens and cut them into julienned slices and sauteed them with a little olive oil and minced garlic, just until wilted (which only took a couple of minutes). I combined the greens and the beets with a little delicious lemon olive oil (Sciabica's found at the SF Farmers Market). I tasted them and was about to add salt, when I realized feta was a better answer. A few crunchy walnut pieces for texture and this was a very tasty little salad. The beet greens were like a mild kale and shared kale's texture, but with only the faintest bitterness.

And, although it was hard to get a clear shot of this dark pigmented salad, I think it is very pretty. And good for you too!

4 Comments:

Blogger Anh said...

Beautiful recipe. I did not know that we can use beet greens until recently. Before that, I just clet the seller chop off the leaves. What a waste!

5:40 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Your composed salad is beautiful, Catherine. Sometimes I toss beet greens into a braise of mustard, kale, chard and whatever else I might have on hand. They are good, aren't they?

11:14 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I have to admit I've not eaten beet greens before this salad. I'm thinking that a nice vegan version would be to use a ginger soy dressing and sub a little tofu for the cheese, switch the nuts to cashews, perhaps?

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Sheila said...

I am happy to see a recipe with Beet Greens. With my Albanian heritage, we grew up eating cooked beat greens with lemon and oil.

It has only been recently, it seems, that chefs have discovered them.

Great recipe.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home