Google+

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Vegan Pizza: Squash Blossom, Cashew Cream & Pea Greens


I had an awesome visit to the San Rafael Farmers Market today at the Civic Center. I got lots of wonderful ingredients: pea greens, squash blossoms, heirloom tomatoes, vegan tofu products. It was a really exciting visit and my first in many months.

This awesome vegan pizza just goes to show you really don't need cheese to make an incredible and indulgent pizza. I used Il Fornaio pizza dough fresh from the restaurant and topped it with a cashew cream-jalapeno sauce. On top of this I added very quickly sauted yellow globe zucchini and squash blossoms, sauted with olive oil, salt and a little lemon juice. I let the olive-oil brushed pizza crust bake at 450 for 7 minutes, then topped it with a cashew cream sauce, cooked with garlic, chopped jalapeno, salt, white wine and nutritional yeast. I topped that with the zucchini and squash blossoms and cooked an additional 5 minutes. Removed from the stove and topped with a super light pea green pesto (pea green leaves, olive oil, and salt pureed in a mini prep).


The result was creamy, fulfilling and a wonderful blend of fresh flavors.It also captured the wonderful crunchy sweetness of the squash blossoms. The pea green puree added a wonderful freshness - don't think of skipping this.
I think this is my best vegan pizza to date.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

What a unique combination!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you make cashew cream?

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When can we make another round!? C.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Cashew cream - soak cashews in water for an hour. Blend in a blender until smooth. Add water as needed.

C - soon, I hope!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would have never thought of combining these ingredients to make pizza topping but it does look very tasty. I love the thickness of the crust - looks like it has a good texture.

9:33 PM  
Blogger be'ershevaboheme6 said...

That pizza looks TO DIE FOR. I'd never think to use squash blossoms like that...I'm always stuffing and frying the heck out of them...no more.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

This is brilliant! I hope to whip up some cashew creme soon. I just got a food processor and am going crazy with it in my spare time!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Marisa said...

This looks super! Not a vegan myself, but if I could get my hands on squash blossoms I would SO be making this.

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home