Google+

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Corn, Red Pepper & Potato Soup


This summery soup was a delicious combination of sweet corn, roasted red peppers, potatoes, kale, cilantro and fresh jalapeno. Smoky and fresh with a jalapeno kick!

The inspiration for this soup was, in part, a need to use up extras that were taking up precious refrigerator space. We've been enjoying buttery, sweet corn on the cob, but I bought so much I had a couple of ears left to use. Home-roasted red peppers are now a staple for me and the kale was left over from the raw kale salad (see previous post).

I was also craving comfort food with a kick. I have been slowed down by a broken toe and it's made me grumpy! This soup put a smile back on my face. Enjoy!

Corn, Red Pepper & Potato Soup:
2-3 TBS olive oil
1 small white onion, finely diced
1 large clove of garlic, minced
5 baby potatoes, diced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 large red pepper, roasted, seeds and skin removed, cut into pieces
1/4 fresh jalapeno, finely diced
1/2 bunch of dinosaur kale, stems removed and cut into 2" strips
2 ears of corn kernels
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
salt


Heat the oil and cook the onion for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the minced garlic and diced potatoes and stir well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking. Remove the cover and add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the red pepper, jalapeno and kale. Cook for 8 minutes and add the corn. Cook 2 minutes, turn off the heat and add the chopped cilantro. Adjust seasoning.

Serve with quesadillas or chips and guacamole.

The addition of black beans would make this soup a meal in itself. If using canned black beans, be sure to rinse them well.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks so simple and fabulous. The perfect meal to go with a quesadilla.

P.S. corn isn't listed in the recipe but I think we can all figure it out.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Anon!
I've added the corn to the ingredients. Thanks for the catch!
Catherine

8:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this recipe. It has most of my favorites in it so I know it has to be great! Thanks for sharing. If you wouldn't mind having Foodista readers directed to your blog, please add your choice of widget to this post and you're all set!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home