Google+

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Coconut Ceviche and Cafe Gratitude


This delicious vegan recipe for Coconut Ceviche is from the I Am Gratefulcookbook of Cafe Gratitude, raw vegan restaurants located in San Francisco, San Rafael, Berkeley, and Healdsburg. I adapted the recipe to include agave nectar and avocado, and it was really amazing. The recipe uses julienned fresh young thai coconut, along with traditional ceviche ingredients including diced tomato and cucumber and finely chopped red onions, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, minced garlic, fresh lime juice, and salt and pepper.



All ingredients are combined and allowed to marinate for at least an hour.


On tasting, I found the lime overpowering, so balanced the acidity with sweet agave nectar and the creamy addition of avocado. It was delicious.

I recently went to the Marin Cafe Gratitude with fellow food blogger Anna, of Anna's Cool Finds. Here's her post on the amazing meal we enjoyed.


I loved it so much I went back the following week and enjoyed "I am Transformed", tacos with Bhutanese red rice and black beans (cooked) and their amazing guacamole and cashew "cheese".


My friend had the "I am Fulfilled" salad:



And we both enjoyed the "I am Abundant" appetizer plate, with a delicious (cooked) cauliflower-cumin soup:


All the food was outstanding: fresh, vibrant, and incredibly delicious. I can't imagine anyone eating here and feeling deprived. The service was excellent and the food was so filling both times, I had no room for dessert (and, from what I've heard, the desserts are amazing!). Even though I came out feeling quite full after both meals, I also felt full of vitality. I definitely expect to be a regular customer.

I was wondering if I might find the atmosphere uncomfortably new-age. Not at all. The whole experience was unconditionally positive and I recommend it without hesitation. Same goes for the cookbook! I'm really excited to try these dishes.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we went on our last visit to the Bay Area, B and I both got the "sushi bowl" which had the same red rice with seaweed, avocado, scallions, and other veggies. I thought it was quite tasty but B was underwhelmed.

However, we shared a Coconut Cream Pie for dessert and were blown away. It was truly amazing.

I was limited by what I could order due to my nut allergy but luckily they have the nut-free items marked. I would definitely go back for dessert, even if I wasn't eating dinner there.

The service was pretty good at the city location. But the prices are pretty ridiculous, particularly for the drinks. I really wanted to get a shake or smoothie but not for $9.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

It's certainly not the best place for a vegan with nut allergies. I agree, it's not inexpensive, but I must say everything I ate was out of this world good and I felt OK about the cost. I had the Gratitude Red wine for a little under $9 a glass, which was normal price wise. Happily, fans can buy the cookbook and make their own versions at cost.

Still, it's nice to be not-cooked for!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Even in the Bay Area, it's hard to conceive of eating this at this time of year. But it's definitely one for the future!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

It was a very enjoyable evening! I went back with Dad a few days later and had tea and a dessert (banana split). Would go back in a heartbeat!

8:21 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I am so envious of your great Eats in the Bay Area! This sounds great!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Simply Vegan said...

i made the ceviche the other day and i am addicted! the freshness is amazing and i love jalapenos. so it was perfect. yum.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home