Google+

Monday, December 22, 2008

Butternut squash and coconut soup


I tend to avoid butternut squash for two reasons:
1. It is frequently the vegetable of choice for bland vegetarian dishes in non-vegetarian restaurants.
2. It is often mixed, esp. in soup form, with a sweet partner, like apple. I like my vegetables savory!

If you thought I was going to say, I hate cutting and peeling those darn squash, stay with me.

This recipe combines roasted butternut squash with onions, jalapenos, vegetable broth, coconut milk, and cilantro. I loved this savory, creamy, spicy vegan soup. My only disappointment - one butternut squash made two fairly modest servings. And, they're hardly inexpensive as vegetables go. Anyway, if you're like me, and you've had that butternut squash sitting around for a few weeks looking pretty and fall-like, this may be the recipe for you.

It's also a strikingly beautiful soup that my photo does not do justice to. I'll certainly be making this one again soon.

Butternut Squash & Coconut Soup:
1 butternut squash
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
salt
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1" ginger, peeled and minced
1 small jalapeno, seeded and ribbed
7 oz vegetable broth
7 oz lowfat coconut milk
3 TBS cilantro, finely chopped
salt


Preheat the oven to 400. Slice the butternut squash on the diagonal to expose as much of the inside squash. Scrape out the seeds and fiber. Cover a baking sheet with foil and cover with EVOO. Lay the slices out, covering both sides with oil and using the slices as tools to cover the sheet evenly with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Roast for 10 minutes, turn slices over, and roast for another 10 minutes. Allow to cool.

Cover a heavy bottom pan with oil and cook the onion over low heat for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Remove the squash rind and chop the flesh. Add to the onion mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, then simmer. Add the coconut milk and puree using an immersion blender. Add the chopped cilantro and adjust the seasoning.

9 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

Delicious!

I don't like sweet soups either.. I know this tastes good just by looking at the ingredients..

6:05 AM  
Blogger allie aller said...

I made this tonight for Christmas supper, using some of our homegrown Red Kuri squash. The only thing I changed was to grate a little Gruyere on top when I served it, skipping the cilantro (which my husband doesn't care for).
It was fantastic!
Thanks for the recipe...it will help me use up the remaining 20 squash we have left from this year's garden....;-)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

What a lovely soup! Butternut squash and cilantro are fantastic together. Add coconut milk and I'm in heaven!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home