Google+

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper & Red Lentil Soup


I know: tis the season for pumpkin soup, but, with cooking (as with most things), I go with my inspiration. This is one of the best soups I've ever made. I have to tell you, I thought about throwing in some pumpkin. I'm so glad I didn't.

This soup came out exactly the way I wanted it and will be a treasured recipe for me. It's really easy to make, vegan, lowfat, and full of protein. As you can see from the photo, my version is thick, like a dal (I loved it this way!). Use more liquid for a lighter version.

I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did!

Roasted Red Pepper & Red Lentil Soup:

1 -1/2 TBS peanut oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 russet potato, peeled and finely diced
1 tsp of ground cumin
generous pinch of cumin seeds
1/2 tsp of ground coriander
generous pinch (or two) of salt
1 cup vegetable broth
3 cups of water
3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed
7.5 oz jar roasted red peppers
salt to taste
cilantro garnish

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium-low heat. Cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently (avoid browning) . Add the potato, cover, and cook for 4 minutes (stirring to avoid sticking). Add the cumin, cumin seeds, coriander and salt and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, water, red lentils and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and add the roasted red peppers. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until lentils loose their shape.

Remove the soup from the heat and puree using an immersion blender.

Return to the heat and add salt to your taste.

Serve garnished with cilantro.




9 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Definitely sounds like a winner to me!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Beatrice said...

This sounds really good. Congratulations on avoiding the lure of the pumpkin...

If I roast my own red peppers, do you think I would need one or two?

7:47 PM  
Blogger mitr_bayarea said...

Lovely red perpper soup..my favorite kind.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love roasted red pepper! My step-mom got me into the habit of roasting them and freezing small batches. They make great additions to nearly any soup or sauce.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks for your comments. Beatrice - two red peppers should do it!

8:44 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks and sounds delicious!

btw, thanks for your comment about weight in my post.. I keep trying to be patient and realize that this is a lifestyle change and slowly but surely will win the race..

3:39 PM  
Blogger Portraits of Portland... said...

My household has a peanut allergy, will olive oil work instead of the peanut oil?

3:52 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Portland,

Yes, you can use olive oil instead. Peanut oil is common in Asian cuisine because it has a high smoke point (for sauteing, stir-fry etc.) Extra-virgin olive oil has a much lower smoke point that regular olive oil, so it's often preferred in cooking.

Enjoy!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Sorry, that last line came out all wrong! Best to cook with regular olive oil.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home