Google+

Friday, August 22, 2008

Simple Salads: Fiesta & Tomato


The last week, it's been salad, salad,salad! And it seems impossible to make a salad without the beautiful organic heirloom tomatoes that currently decorate every produce stand I see.

The Fiesta salad above with leafy greens, sweet yellow bell peppers and a perfect avocado with a few nacho jalapeno slices, salsa, and a super-minimal red wine vinaigrette has become a real favorite.

The tomato salad below is simply chopped heirlooms in pretty colors, with fruity olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, sea salt and pepper.




I sort of wish I had grown tomatoes in pretty pots in my sunny back yard this summer, but, to be honest, I was barely able to keep the herbs alive, with forgetful lapses about watering. A gardening friend moved my container herbs around to ideal places in my yard, and, even the burnt mint has recovered. Small miracles are very reassuring.

Incredibly, it's almost the end of August and I'm having a end-of-summer wobbly sentimental moment. At least the pool is ours until Labor Day. On my to-do list for this weekend, come up with and pre-prep healthy foods for the kids lunch boxes (school starts Monday). Oh....and my lunchbox!

1 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You're glad you didn't grow tomatoes this year. All the smoky skies from NoCal's wildfires really stunted their growth.
I am only just now harvesting ripe ones.
Beautiful salads. Jalapeno? Whoo!

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home