Google+

Monday, July 21, 2008

Broccoli & Cotswold Quiche


I've had Cotswold on the brain since my birthday, when my friend J. served it as an appetizer at a little birthday soiree. Cotswold is a sharp, pungent cheese, a Double Gloucester with chives. (Shop around for prices on this cheese of the moment: $15.99/ lb at Whole Foods, $22.99/lb at Safeway.)

This quiche was an inspired blend of mouthy, succulent broccoli florettes, the sharp tanginess of Cotswold, the creamy egg custard , and an indulgently crumbing crust. Perfect for lunch or dinner with a little salad, or a bold breakfast treat (but I don't think they'll be any leftovers!)

Broccoli & Cotswold Quiche:
1 cup small broccoli florettes
1 premade frozen pie crust (I used Marie Callender's)
2 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup half & half
2 oz Cotswold grated
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.

Cook the broccoli florettes in salted water for 5 minutes until just tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Beat the egg, egg yolk, and half & half. Salt and pepper.

Grate the cheddar cheese into the bottom of the premade frozen pie crust. Arrange the broccoli florettes over the cheddar (cut any that are large into halves). Pour in the egg custard. Top with 2 oz grated Cotswold cheese. Press down on florettes and cheese with a spatula to insure all are covered with the custard. Salt and pepper.

Place crust on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, until custard is set.

Serve with a simple salad.

10 Comments:

Blogger cranky said...

Broccoli is so good with cheese, and you've gone and made it into something spectacular. I have some broc in the fridge! Now, to find that cheese.

11:55 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

The message was from Cookie, not Cranky... ;)

11:57 AM  
Blogger Johnna Knows Good Food: Yum Yum, Gimme Some! said...

This looks amazingly good! and the recipe is pretty simple;-) Thanks!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Sweet Bird said...

Oh my, that looks delicious. I love Cotswold, Broccoli, and Quiche. This is so getting made this week!

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, Cotswald is one of my favorites in any application. Methinks there's a quiche in my near future!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks for all your comments on this yummy quiche! Cotswold is such a delicious cheese. Try eating it straight with slices of apple and a nice big glass of cabernet. That's dinner tonight....

7:51 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

A beautiful pie, Catherine! I've had Cotswold cheese before and found it delicious, but now can't find it in our area anywhere. Do you have a substitute suggestion?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Wow, this looks scrumptious!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Christine,

Tintern or simply a really strong cheddar and add some chives!

8:18 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

I know, I know, I don't eat cheese, but this post is putting me in a very England mood... I can't wait to be over there!

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home