Google+

Monday, June 16, 2008

Vin Antico, San Rafael


I had dinner last night at a small Italian wine bar called Vin Antico in the heart of San Rafael's 4th Street. The dish above was probably the best egg dish I've ever had, Uova al Forno, eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce with capers and parmesan. I rarely eat egg white, but this was the kind of dish where one cleans the bowl and wipes every last drop up with bread. I'd definitely go back, just for this dish, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

It was a busy night in San Rafael, and perhaps that impacted the service, which was not as attentive as one might have expected for a small wine bar. The place was hopping and I was impressed with the servers and bartenders knowledge of the wines and appropriate pairings, but the food was slow to appear, some items had to be asked for a second time, and when my friend's papparadelle with beef ragu arrived, it had to be sent back as being well beyond al dente. Even on a second attempt, it wasn't quite right, but edible, and my friend was hungry!

I started with the spinach salad with while truffle oil and gorgonzola dolcette, topped with the lightest of light potato chips. My picture was blurry, but the potato chips initially overwhelmed the delcious salad (they completely covered it). Better as a garnish, but I ate the lot anyway.

We also enjoyed the flatbread (alas late with the entree) with ricotta and balsamic. My friend loved the ricotta, I found it somewhat tasteless.

There were many other items I might have ordered on this menu, but, if you like eggs, you've simply got to try Vin Antico's Uova al Forno. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

2 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I didn't know about this place (and I LIVE in San Rafael), so thanks a million.
So sorry the place needs service tweaks... You've *almost* talked me into giving it a try.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

it's surprising hard to find! the sign is blocked by the trees. it was the chalking festival and a sunday night, so it may have been an exceptional service night.

If you want to try it, I'll go with you! There were lots of things on the menu I didn't get to try and everything I had was yummy! But, I'd just settle for the uova al forno - that made a meal for me!

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home