Google+

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Heirloom Tomato Salad with Brazil Nut Topping



Organic heirloom tomatoes with persian cucumbers, red onions, basil, EVOO, balsamic, and I am Focused Brazil Nut Topping.

If you know local Bay Area restaurants, you have probably guessed that the" I am Focused" Brazil Nut topping is a recipe from Cafe Gratitude. I'm embarrased to say, I haven't eaten at their restaurants, but I did check out their cookbook from the library, I Am Grateful.

Cafe Gratitude serves raw, vegan food and today I created their very simple "I Am Focused" Brasil Nut "Cheese". It's just raw brazil nuts, chopped garlic, and salt, processed until fluffy.


I have to say is extremely flavorful and definitely a great vegan substitute for cheese. Above, I used it as a topping for a tomato salad, but it is also incredibly tasty "spread" on bread (the nuts have enough oil to make this workable, despite the grainy appearance above). And, super simple!

While I'm not ready to restrict my diet to raw vegan, I had a little bout of raw vegan last summer and people actually came up to me and commented on how radiant my dewy skin was.

Other ideas for this: I'm thinking of using it to top spinach-stuffed portabellos! Would be awesome on baked potatoes. In the cookbook, it's the base cheese for raw pizza.

What would you use it for?


6 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

That looks awesome! I LOVE that book.. my boss brought it in for me the other day and I took it home and have been reading it! I think the woman really knows her stuff..

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so pretty everything I love photos. Post more. I am introducing myself I am Suvine. hello

5:29 PM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

You know that Brazil nuts are the world's highest naturally occurring radioactive food?

11:56 PM  
Blogger bazu said...

Oooh, I must try that brazil nut topping.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Threadspider said...

I just used the brazil nut topping on portobellos. I stuffed the mushrooms (previously lightly cooked in a frying pan with a little olive oil)with breadcrumbs and finely chopped tomato, Drizzled a little balsamic vinegar on each, topped with the nuts and grilled (Broiled?)until the nuts turned golden. Delicious.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

threadspider - thanks for this!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home