Google+

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Cauliflower Steak


Here's another winner from the "Eat Your Veggies" piece in the February issue of Bon Appetit: Cauliflower Steaks. The previous recipe for salt-crusted beets was in the same piece and the brussels recipe is looking good too.
I adapted and simplified the original recipe (which uses the remaining cauliflower to create a puree base). I used less than a teaspoon of olive oil to fry two cauliflower steaks (vs 2TBS in the original recipe). And I added a sprinkle of grated parmesan before putting the steaks in the oven. I then finished them under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

They were absolutely perfect.

Serve with salad: arugula, white beans, and cherry tomatoes in a lemon vinaigrette. And why not add some julieneed basil or another fresh herb to the mix?

Here's the adapted recipe:

Cauliflower Steaks:

1 head cauliflower
1 tsp extra-virigin olive oil
pinch of sea salt (I used French Ile de Re)
2 grinds of black pepper
1/2 TBS grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 250F degrees.

Cut two 3/4" steaks from the center of a head of cauliflower. Sprinkle with salt.

In a skillet, heat up the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower steaks and cook on both sides with salt and pepper. I pressed my down with a spatula to make sure I got the nicely browned florettes.

Remove from heat and place on a baking sheet. Top with grated Parmesan and bake for 6 minutes. Finish under the grill until cheese is bubbling.




3 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds delicious!

6:27 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yeah, I've been hearing about this technique. Isn't it great that the days of wet, boiled cauliflower seem to be past?

11:24 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I had a smaller version of this at a restaurant outside London last year served (if I recall) with a seared scallop and drizzled with curry oil. It was just sublime and I'm definitely going to try your version!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home