Google+

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Stir Fry Soup



This was almost certainly the first in a series of experiments to create a really good Stir Fry Soup. I've made a lot of stir fries, full of beautiful healthful green vegetables and high-protein tofu, but they tend to be fairly similar and, lack a certain excitement. Somehow making a soup with stir fry ingredients matched my comfort needs in our currently cold, rainy weather, my dietary needs (read: low-cal), my need for tons of greens and something new to do with tofu, and required very little time to prepare (honestly, 15 minutes).

The experiment was very tasty and successful (the photographs really don't do the dish justice). I have to admit, I didn't measure my ingredients but I think the recipe below is fairly accurate. Next time, I'll add peas and sugar snap peas for a little crunch and sweetness.

Stir Fry Soup:

1/2 TBS peanut oil (smokes at a higher temperature)
1/4 green cabbage, roughly chopped
2 baby bok choy, stems removed, washed well to remove grit
3 oz extra-firm tofu, cut into small cubes
3 green onions, sliced
1" fresh ginger, skin removed, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 TBS soy sauce ( adjust to your own taste)
1/2 tsp ume plum vinegar
1/2 tsp Chinese chili oil, oil only
1/2 cup cooked rice (I used brown)
1/2 cup cilantro leaves

Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cabbage, baby bok choy, tofu, onions, ginger, and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, soy sauce, ume plum vinegar, Chinese chili oil and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and simmer for 4 minutes. Add the cooked rice and cilantro leaves and cook for 1 minute.

Serve with a sprig of cilantro.


7 Comments:

Blogger allie aller said...

I will definitely try this!
Your blog is on my RSS and I never miss a post.
If you are at all interested in crazy quilt stitching, I invite you to swing by mine... ;-)

7:00 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

It looks and sounds absolutely perfect.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Looks light and lovely, and a little bit spicy -- just perfect!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Welcome Allison! Thanks for commenting!

Melody - good for a cold! Hope you're feeling better.

Lydia - the spice was right!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

This looks delicious! I love tofu and greens!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Just discovered your blog, and this recipe (as well as many others) looks great. MMm... it would be perfect on this snowy day. :)

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a neat idea :). I've never thought of making a soup stir-fry. By the way, the photos look very tasty. I'd love to feature your recipe on our Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested. Thanks!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home