Google+

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tofu Marsala


This delicious adaption of Tofuu Marsala from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table, was a wonderfully warming, high-protein dish that provides serious depth of flavor in less than 30 minutes.

If you haven't checked out this cookbook, I can't recommend it more highly. I have given it often as a gift. There's a wide range of recipes from the world over and they are all simple and achievable in about half an hour. Check out the end of this post for some other recipes I've enjoyed from this book.

I have to admit, I'm feeling depleted today, still fighting off a cold. I spent a couple of hours resting on the sofa as my daughter read to me (no one's read to me in years!) But this recipe was worth getting up and making, just for myself. The marsala provides a wonderful richness, but I halved the amount in the original recipe and substituted vegetable stock for the balance. I felt this yielded as sweet a result for this dish as I could enjoy. The combination of mushrooms, marsala, tomatoes, and tofu, was delicious and rich, without any heaviness. As they say in the cookbook, enjoy soaking up the broth with some crusty bread!

Tofu Marsala (adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table):

4 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tbsp olive oil
3 small sweet peppers, deseeded and cubed
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup Marsala wine
1 cup vegetable stock
16 oz firm tofu, cut into 3/4 " cubes
10 oz baby portobellos, peeled, stemmed and sliced
14 oz italian diced tomatoes
1 tbsp pesto
S&P
Crusty bread

In a saucepan, heat the oil and cook the garlic for 1 minutes. Add the peppers, salt and oregano and cook for 5-8 minutes. Add the Marsala, vegetable stock and tofu and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, and pesto. Cook 5-10 more minutes and adjust seasoning.

Serve with crusty bread.

Other recipes I've made from this cookbook:


  • Polenta- Stuffed Peppers


  • Indian Potato Salad




  • Sesame Tofu
  • 3 Comments:

    Blogger MeloMeals said...

    Everything looks great, especially the sesame tofu.

    Tofu is one of my top 3 comfort foods.

    It's hard not to get depressed this time of year I think. I know I fight it.

    Hang in there..

    9:13 AM  
    Blogger Anna Haight said...

    I'll have to get that cookbook, sounds great! Beautiful photos and food choices in this post! I spent my Thursday napping and fighting a cold too -- must be going around in Marin.

    12:00 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Catherine,

    My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.

    And isn't tofu the best? It's so versatile and so unbelievably good for you. If I could only eat 5 foods for the rest of my life, that would be one of them. Have you ever been to Asia? Oh, the things they do over there with the stuff...amazing!

    Cheers!

    Shannon Eliot
    Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
    shannon@foodbuzz.com

    2:02 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home