Google+

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Broccolini & Spinach Pizza with Gorgonzola Sauce



Here's a great way to eat your greens while indulging your taste for the voluptuous! This pizza was topped with chopped spinach, broccolini, and a rich Gorgonzola cheese sauce, with toasty pine nuts to add a textural punch!

I can't tell you how divine this pizza was. You'll just have to try it yourself.

I used Trader Joe's plain pizza dough for the crust.

I wilted the baby spinach by putting it in a colander and pouring boiling water over it. I then squeezed out the excess liquid, chopped the spinach, then squeezed out even more liquid until it was quite dry. This went on top of the dough.

I parboiled the broccolini (thick stems removed) for 1-2 minutes, drained, then rinsed with cold water.

The Gorgonzola sauce was 1-1/2 tsp butter, melted in a pan, 1-1/2 tsp flour, mixed in with the butter and cooked until frothy, 2-3 TBSP milk, mixed in over medium heat, and water to get a more liquid consistency. I used half of this sauce on top of the spinach and spread it out with the back of a spoon. I then added the broccolini and topped with the remaining half of the sauce. Added salt and pepper and brushed the edge of the dough with olive oil. A slim handful of pinenuts on top.

Baked on a pizza stone at 450F degrees for 11 minutes.

Result: total pizza satisfaction!

4 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

I know I've said this a millions times, but you should really write a vegetarian pizza cookbook. I love your combinations.

Thank you for the continued support during this time.. I means so much to me.. more than I would have expected.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

Wow, that looks so good! I need to try to find some pizza dough at Trader Joe's...I could not find it last time. Great presentation, it is making me hungry for pizza!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How much gorgonzola does your recipe call for, at which stage do we add it, and how big is a Trader Joe's crust?

Thanks!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Jim,

As gorgonzola is very strong, I would plan on about 1/3 of a cup. You can buy it crumbled or grate it yourself. Once you've made your roux (the butter, flour and milk sauce) and it has thickened, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese until well combined. I recommend starting with 1/4 cup, taste it, and add more, based on how strong you like it. The dough was fresh and creates a pizza about the size of a large pizza (approx. 12 inches). Enjoy!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home