Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Kale & White Bean Soup

This week has me infused with a strong sense of transition. Is that fall I'm sensing in the air?

This morning I decided I needed a fluffy spa robe with matching slippers. Last night, I brought out the movie-watching blankets. Tonight, choppin' firewood. (OK, now I'm exaggerating).

But I do have a sudden sense of wanting to hibernate and keep a low-profile.

So tonight's dish is a transitional soup recipe: a combination of summer elements (white beans & tomato broth) and fall (my beloved dinosaur kale, potatoes, and sweet carrots) with rosemary flavors (with rosemary, my yard runneth over.)

This was a perfect supper with a glass of Barbera d'Alba Red. And, who's betting it'll be even better tomorrow.

Kale & White Bean Soup:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
4 dutch baby potatoes, diced
1 carrot, sliced, then halved
2 -1/2 cups vegetable broth ( I use TJ's)
2-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup tomato sauce/puree (I used A. G. Ferrari's Freschissima.)
sea salt & pepper
sprig rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped
1/2 bunch dinosaur kale (stalks removed, torn, cleaned)
2/3 cup white beans (cooked al dente)
red pepper flakes

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium low. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until softening. Add the garlic, turn down, and continue to cook for several minutes, not letting the garlic brown.

Add the potato, cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium low, stirring occasionally. Add the carrot, cover, and cook 3-4 minutes longer. Add the vegetable broth, water, tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, add the tomato sauce, salt & pepper, and chopped rosemary. Simmer until the potatoes are almost tender. Add the dinosaur kale, white beans, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 5 minutes. Check seasoning and serve!


Blogger Dani Spies said...

I love, love, love kale and white bean're recipe sounds delicious...can't wait to curl up under a blanket and try some;)

8:55 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's totally one of my snuggly season soups.
And. Cranky and I are seriously talking about moving a bed into our family room with the fireplace (the room with the glass door that goes onto the patio).
Choppin' firewood for real!! (And so close to the kitchen, heh.)

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home