Google+

Friday, August 03, 2007

Summer Soup with Edamame


Summer headcold, summer soup....this one with plenty for protein from edamame (soy beans).

Summer Soup with Edamame:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
8 baby carrots, sliced
1 tbsp butter
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
1 teaspoon pesto
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine (optional)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup edamame
1 cup baby spinach
S & P

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the shallot and saute for 2 mintes. Add the minced garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, carrots, and butter. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, water, pesto, tomato paste, and wine (if using). Season. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender 10-15 minutes. Add the frozen peas and cook for 4 minutes. Add the edamame and baby spinach. Cook 2 minutes. Check seasoning and serve.

6 Comments:

Blogger bazu said...

Hi Catherine,

This soup looks fantastic! For some reason, I never think to use edamame as an actual ingredient- I just eat them alone. Must try it this way.

Oh, and as a vegan food blogger, I'd love to see what you do with a month of vegan! Your food is always so beautiful and tempting, it would be good vegan PR, for sure. =)

9:27 PM  
Blogger bazu said...

P.S. My blog is Where's the Revolution? I mention this in case you want to check it out, because sometime people mix mine up with "What do Vegans Eat?" a blog that is not mine, but that I contribute to. (Therefore, it's also listed on my profile page)

9:30 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's really nice.
Kind of lengthy on the ingredients (I have become SO lazy), but I adore the brilliant little teaspoons of pesto and tomato paste.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

This sounds great - I love a good summer soup. Yum!

6:01 PM  
Blogger winedeb said...

Looks great and I am not going to wait till I get a cold - I will try this week!
Catherine, what is your favorite vegetarian cookbook?

8:25 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

This looks very moreish!

:)

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home