Google+

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pizza Antica


I'd heard really good things about Pizza Antica and was psyched when my friend suggested the Mill Valley location for dinner last night. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'd heard the pizza was really good.

The restaurant is one sizeable, high-ceilinged room with black and white tile and slightly painful accoustics. Drop a fork here and everyone will hear you. Kid and adult friendly, we were seated in a corner, at a table perhaps just a little too close to our neighbors, but it wasn't troublesome.

This is a great place for vegetarians! I was extremely excited to find that the antipasti appetizer plate was vegetarian, a rare treat. Although the presentation wasn't quite what it could have been, all of the antipasti was delicious. The lemon aioli dip was fantastic and I ate the whole plate!



We ordered two pizzas off the menu with substitutions. #9: Three Cheeses, Shaved Broccoli, Caramelized Onion and Pancetta, we substituted sauteed spinach for the Pancetta. This was really outstanding. I wasn't sure about a Broccoli pizza, but shaving it really worked (although my photo failed to capture the pizza in focus):


The second pizza was the #5: Fig with Gorgonzola and Caramelized Onions, and we substituted goat cheese for the meat (I think it was Pancetta again, but my memory forsakes me here). The waiter suggested doubling the Gorgonzola, but that would have been overwhelming so I'm glad we stuck to our Goat Cheese guns! The figs were a little too fresh and natural, making it a little too sweet and the fig texture was a little too grainy and not indulgent enough. I wish they'd added a little balsamic or oil and cooked the figs more, but it was good upfront and just became clawing at the end.



One thing I loved about their pizzas is how incredibly thin the crusts were. You really get to enjoy the toppings without getting weighted down with dough. They are also 100% flexible about substitutions and you are free to build your own pizza from a list of toppings.

Having just taken my Food Safety Manager Certification exam, I was dismayed to see one hatless cook. The servers were pleasant, but generally young, giving the place a decidedly casual feel. Still, the place was hopping and the food (and wine) was good, so for a casual meal or take-out (no delivery, darn it!), I like Pizza Antica (located in the Strawberry Shopping Center in Mill Valley).

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Pizzas look great. That fig one really intrigues me! I agree, that antipasto plate really lacks presentation imagination. Sounds like a nice night out.

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine,
The Lafayette location has been my family's favorite local restaurant since it opened. My kids always order the potato and truffle oil pizza. My favorite is seasonal --asparagus with preserved lemon. Other family favs are the calamari braise, and their excellent ceasar. I only wish they were open for breakfast pizzas!

6:45 AM  
Blogger BreadBox said...

Speaking of brocolli pizza: I've been thinking about trying to make a roasted vegetable pizza recently: the latest issue I have of Cooks Illustrated has a discussion of how they like to cook vegetables: mainly, it seems, they like roasting them. So we tried roasted green beans the other night, and they were really good: I think that it might be really interesting as a pizza topping. An unusual one, to be sure, but an interesting one!
N.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home