Google+

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Corn Frittes


Looking for a new recipe for all that delicious sweet corn that is in season?

Although it was dark when I took the less than perfect photographs, these corn frittes with fresh corn, red onion, cilantro, and cheese, held together with a chickpea flour batter were an absolutely heavenly combination of sweet corn and savory. They were even better than I imagined and I'm sure you'll love them!

I'm listing the recipe I used, but the corn pancakes fell apart a bit on turning in the saute pan, so I recommend doubling the batter, but only using as much as you need to hold the corn together. I did two versions, one with feta and one with cheddar and both were totally delicious.

Corn Frittes:

Batter:
1 tbsp chickpea flour
1 tbsp flour
pinch of salt
grind of pepper
1/4 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp water

1 ear of fresh, sweet corn, kernels shaved
1 tsp red onion, diced very finely
2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
2 oz cheese ( I used 1 oz crumbled feta for one fritte and 1 oz grated cheddar for the other - both were awesome!)
2 tsp olive oil


Combine batter ingredients together with a whisk until smooth. Let rest for 15 minutes.

Combine the batter with the corn, red onion, cilantro and cheese.

Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet and form two frittes. Cook until brown and crispy on each side.





7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! We have a few ears of corn in the fridge.

Guess what? The gardener came out again today and we now have a veggie garden - tomatoes, chard, lettuce, beans, basil, carrots, radish and beets!

11:03 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Definitely must try these -- they look delicious!

3:28 AM  
Blogger winedeb said...

These look great and sound fairly easy! Great way to use the corn. I posted a nice corn and cucumber salad the other day if you are interested in another way to use up the corn. It travels well also.
(I think the photos are fine!)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

i made corn fritters the other day with coconut milk in. I might give yours a try next time - i was planning on trying another way with chicpea flour too - so your suggestion is timely for me

1:33 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks and sounds delicious... yet, another great use for chickpea flour...

10:28 AM  
Blogger Ferdzy said...

Those look excellent. I make a lot of patties/fritters/things with chick pea flour and it's great stuff. I like how those look like they're mostly corn though!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Mmmmmm! Looks gorgeous, I've for so long, wanted to try these. Maybe now, your recipe looks easy to adapt!

:)

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home