Google+

Monday, May 14, 2007

Welsh Rarebit


There's nothing like a foodie colleague that knows the cooking of your heritage to spur you on!

Today, I was showing a colleague my food blog and she immediately glommed on to the English Food category. "Where's the cheese on toast?", she asked. "You mean, Welsh Rarebit?" I replied. "Gosh, I haven't done that one yet".

So, now I have. Here'a an adapted verion (adapted to what I had on hand), of that classic, Welsh Rarebit (or cheese on toast), with thanks to Mum for her tips. I planned to use a leek, but found I only had Green Garlic.

Welsh Rarebit:

Melt 2 tsp of salty butter in a saucepan. Add 2 tbsp chopped green garlic or leeks and cook until softened. Add a dab more butter and about 1 tbsp of flour and stir vigorously. Add 2-3 tbsp hard cider (I used Hornsby's Amber Draft, don't go for a really sweet one) and stir until thickened. Add 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar and stir until smooth.

Toast 1-2 slices of your fav. bread buttered under the grill for 1 minute each side (I used slices of Judy's Breadsticks).

Add the cheese sauce to the top and grill until bubbling and starting to brown. Snip fresh chives over the top of the cheese and serve immediately. A scrumptious appetizer of meal for one!


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh... green garlic in welsh rarebit -- that sounds great! Mine has been seasoned with all spices in the past, so I like the idea of using fresh leeks/green garlic.

10:04 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yeah, leeks in Welsh Rarebit is new to me too. I always thought it was just a bland comfort food, but this jazzes it up. Nice.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Hooray for cheese on toast! I love Welsh rarebit.

2:55 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

I'm saving this right now. Great for a quick bite and I love the idea of using hard cider.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home