Google+

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Poleng Lounge, San Francisco


There's something about a cocktail that just grabs one's attention, don't you think?

And this pretty Watermelon Green Beam ( "fresh watermelon mixed with lime, simple syrup, Han Asian Vodka, and green tea") was a refreshing start to a pleasant meal at Poleng Lounge, a small Asian Street Food restaurant that transforms into a small nightclub around 10pm.

We ate only vegetarian options and I didn't photograph all of them, especially once I got eating. My favorite dish was the Buddha's Treasures ("Pan fried homemade dumplings filled with minced vegetables, dusted with matcha green tea powder and served with a sesame ponzu sauce"):



We were all enchanted with the roti that came with this Indo-Thai Eggplant Temple ("Malaysian Roti flatbread with thai green and Indian purple eggplants accompanied with a curry dipping sauce."):


Also, not pictured but enjoyed were the Madras Samosas and the Crispy Tofu Triangles with Xiao Xing Rice Wine Sambal. And the company wasn't bad neither.

Oh.. and we had to have dessert... Green Tea Gelato, Coconut Gelato, and Mango Sorbet.

I enjoyed the mixed Asian dishes that combined Thai, Chinese, Japanese, and Indian influences and ingredients. I also really liked the space and decor which was relaxed and naturalistic while maintaining a background of edgy city modernity. It's the kind of place that makes me miss city life and recall fondly how once I could go out without a babysitter. I'd definitely go back (to the restaurant, I mean.)

Read about chef Tim Luym, his vision and diverse food background in this SF Chronicle Article by Carol Ness Rising Star Chefs 2007: Tim Luym. I appreciate how he's made the restaurant an expression of his own unique background and interests. And, we enjoyed the music too, although I can't find an album of covers called Garage Door Opener. Anyone?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you were looking for the bossa nova covers, it's nouvelle vague.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Freya said...

You had my attention at Watermelon Green Beam and the rest of the food sounds and looks just as wonderful!

6:00 AM  
Blogger winedeb said...

I will have to remember the watermelon drink when I return to Key West. It will be perfect down there. The food looks wonderful and I wish we did have "smell-a-web" or how about "cyberaroma"!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

That all looks so pretty, I bet it tasted gorgeous! What were the lattice shaped crisps?

6:38 AM  
Blogger A Few Reservations said...

Wow. That looks fantastic!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

holler - those are lotus root chips. They taste light and subtly potato-like.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Wow! What a great place. I love going out for dinner, and taking in the whole experience from cocktail, through appetizer, main course and dessert. What unique combinations!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Amy Sherman said...

Yup. Nouvelle Vague. I have no idea where he came up with Garage Door Opener! Yummy dinner though.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks Anon!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home