Google+

Monday, April 02, 2007

Matzo Ball Soup


It's the night of the Passover Seder and all across the land people are enjoying their favorite Matzo Ball Soup.

My version contains organic vegetable broth, green garlic, leeks, red, yellow, and orange carrots, baby potatoes, and chopped parsley, and a spoonful of green olive paste. Not very traditional, but good!

A safe Passover night to all.

Postscript (4/3/07):

Amy requested the recipe for this, so here you go.

Farmers' Market Matzo Ball Soup:

I box of matzo ball mix (mine required 2 eggs, and some vegetable oil)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large stalks of green garlic, sliced
1 medium leek, sliced
3 baby potatoes, diced
1-1/2 cups of sliced carrots (I used red, yellow, and orange)
32 fl oz organic vegetable broth (I used Trader Joe's)
I cup water
1 tsp green olive paste
1/3 cup chopped parsley
salt & pepper

Prepare the matzo balls according to the directions. I had to refridgerate mine for 15 minutes. Be sure to make the balls small; they'll swell with cooking.

In a soup pot, heat the vegetable oil and add the green garlic, leek and diced potatoes. Cover and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots and vegetable broth, water, and bring the to a boil. Add the matzo balls and turn to a simmer. Add the green olive paste and half of the chopped parsely. Simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Season, and add the rest of the parsley. Serve!

8 Comments:

Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

OOOooooo... I would love that recipe! How did you make the matzoh balls? I always have trouble with mine falling apart.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

In my family, my matzoh balls were always called "depth charges" -- Sinkers, not floaters! Your look absolutely lovely.

4:17 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks amazing... and oh, how I have stories to tell about this soup.. oy.. hehe

10:16 AM  
Blogger Amy Sherman said...

Recipe, please! It looks gorgeous.

11:06 AM  
Blogger A Few Reservations said...

So nice to see a veggie version.

2:57 PM  
Blogger winedeb said...

Soup looks beautiful (can you say that?) How about just yummy! Anyhow, ol' dummy me - what is green garlic????

6:42 AM  
Blogger elf said...

Thanks so much for posting this. It's always a challenge to make a quality matzo ball soup for my vegetarian friends. This is similar to the version I made last Rosh HaShanah, but I used carmelized onions and no potatoes or olive paste. It was a bit to sweet. I think some olive paste would help make it more savory, and the potatoes would add some body.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To those who prefer sinkers versus floaters, or vice versa, here's the best hint I've ever gotten: The darker the oil you use, the heavier your matzah balls; the lighter, the lighter.

If you want sinkers, use olive oil, especially virgin or extra-virgin.

For floaters, use canola, walnut, or grapeseed oil, or the ubiquitous and extremely non-descriptive "vegetable oil" which is often part vegetable and part cottonseed.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home