Google+

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Spaghetti with Leeks, Chard, & Cotswold Cheese


Here's a pasta dish with a British flair: Spaghetti with Leeks, Chard, and Cotswold Cheese. Costwold is a strong orange cheese that combines Double Gloucester with chives and onions.

This is the simplest dish, but the marriage of flavours really works.

Spaghetti with Leeks, Chard, & Cotswold Cheese

6-8 oz spaghetti
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 super large leek, quartered, soaked, and sliced
1 bunch chard, destemed and leaves torn
1/2 cup wine
2 oz Cotswold cheese
S & P

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.Heat the olive oil in a skillet and fry leek for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the chard and wine and cook until greens are tender (approx. 5 minutes). Add 1 oz of the cheese with the cooked pasta and season.

Serve topped with remaining cheese.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

Cheese with leeks and chard... you can't go wrong ;)

1:26 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

i've never cooked chard or leeks believe it or not --- i can't wait to try this out.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Linda, This was a new combination for me. Last time I just used leeks and cheese. I cooked the leeks in butter and felt it was too oily. I added the chard this time to offset that and used olive oil (much better, to my surprise).

Bonnie - this cheese was particularly good with the leeks - full of bite!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Cotswold cheese is new to me. I'll have to ask for it at my cheese shop.

7:24 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

Cotswold cheese? Can you describe the flavor?

9:25 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

funwithyourfood -good question! Cotswold is a red cheese and both sharp and slightly creamy like an extra sharp cheddar. It's a bold cheese and would be perfect on a big hunk of bread (it's a pub cheese)with some Branston pickle .A slightly crumbly cows milk cheese with onions and chives, Cotswold packs a big taste so you can use a little with plenty of effect. The chives and onions really highlight it's savory flavor.

Pairing it with leeks is awesome, but you can just eat this cheese with white bread (like those chewy Shepherd's white loaves). Goes with beer and wine and cider.

9:42 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Catherine, it looks scrum.
I thought of you when I devoured the Lemon Spaghetti recipe from the NY Times last week. (I think the link expires Wednesday, so go look, and copy it for yourself.) I think you would love it.
(As I love Cotswold cheese.)

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Food Safety Course said...

I love spaghetti since I was a child. My mom always cooks me, my brothers and my sister whenever it's our birthday or other special occasions that needs celebrating. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Now I can cook for my mom.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home