Google+

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Spaghetti Rigati in Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms & Broccoli


This simple supper dish was inspired by my discovery of a new tomato pasta sauce, Cirio brand from Italy. The sauce is 86% tomatoes and I can easily identify all the ingredients (carrots, garlic etc), thus, the company's logo "Come Natura Crea". I think this is the best tomato pasta sauce I've tried. The taste was very fresh and flavorful, the texture superb, and it smells incredible.

I have to admit I've been rather dowdy in my choices of tomato pasta sauce. I quite like one from Trader Joe's and I like Barilla's sauce with olives, but, honestly, I've often settled for a poor quality sauce with four cheeses or black tasteless speckles of basil. Pasta with red sauce was one of my super easy meals back in the old days, and it makes me a little sad to think how blindly and repeatedly I grabbed a bottle of crappy sauce and ate a tasteless bowl of pasta. Well, baby, those days are gone!

I'd love to hear about your favorite tomato sauces so please share in the comments. And check out the Spaghetti Rigati (Spaghetti with ridges). I love this camera!

Spaghetti Rigati in Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms & Broccoli:

6 oz spaghetti rigati
1/2-1 tbsp butter or olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 mushrooms, sliced
1 small head broccoli, cut into small florettes
7 oz tomato pasta sauce (Cirio's)

Cook the spaghetti per directions. Melt the butter over lowest heat and cook the garlic for 2 minutes. Turn up the heat to medium and add the mushrooms. Saute until they start to release their juices. Add the broccoli and cook until almost tender (3 minutes). Add the sauce and drained pasta and toss until well combined. Heat together for 3 minutes and serve.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marcie said...

Catherine, I'm really enjoying your blog. I found it through an old post on Fat Free Vegan (where I was looking at a recipe for a cornmeal crust.) The Spaghetti Rigati looks *so good*! I'm off to read your children's book review blog too. Children's books crop up on my blog once in a while too! :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, thanks for telling us about your sauce discovery. I swear, there are times when nothing else will do.
During the first Eat Local Challenge, I was so relieved to fall off the wagon and eat lazily again. The first thing I had was spaghetti with Barilla's olive tomato sauce. I used to LOVE that sauce.
But after a month of "clean," local eating, I couldn't stand the artificial flavors! (I told Jen M. the monthlong challenge was like "rehab for my taste buds.")
But I will gladly look for Cirio's.
Your dish looks stunning.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Welcome Aisling!

cookie - I believe it. I want to do the challenge this year (except for my PG tips which I won't give up).

1:05 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I noticed the pasta right away... lovely shot!

My favorite quick marinara is my own.. just good quality canned tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, crushed red pepper flakes and a tiny bit of evoo on the top, just before serving..

another fav marinara recipe of mine, I posted on Vegweb a while back.. it is sooo delicious and simple...

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7396.0

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dish looks absolutely delicious!
As for sauces... I've recently stumbled upon Rao's Marinara, and I'm afraid there's no going back (for those days homemade is just too much trouble). Sadly, it's quite pricey, but sooooo yummy.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine! Yum, your spaghetti dish looks delicious! I make my own marinara sauce similar to what Melody has posted above, only I also add cut up onions, shredded carrots, finely diced celery, and diced mushrooms. I simmer it (uncovered) for 30-40 minutes to reduce it down a bit. It does take a bit time, but I make large batches and freeze all the extra in small single/double serving containers. Any amount of prep work that goes into it seems well worth it in the end.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum, looks so good! thanks :)

4:58 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

gosh...I guess I shouldn't be so lazy and should make my own. umm...so when's tomato season start?

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home