Google+

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Mini-Break Meals


Mum's wonderful homemade pancakes with lemon and sugar for Pancake Tuesday.


Tuscan quiche from The Farm Bakery and Cafe, Aptos


Grilled lentil sandwich with chevre and licorice micro greens from the restaurant at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The combination of flavors here was marvelous, but probably wouldn't have been anything special without the lightly licorice micro greens. I almost didn't order this because of the "licorice". I really couldn't imagine how it would be good, but I was totally wrong. The only issue was that there were enough lentils in this sandwich for four adults. Not only was it impossible to eat such a tall sandwich, the lentils overwelmed. I removed about 75% of the lentils and then this sandwich was a total winner tastewise. I rarely eat sandwiches because an hour later, my energy really drops off. After this one, I was ready for a nap.


Four cheese roti and winter vegetable salad from Gayles in Capitola.

6 Comments:

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

All of those look divine! So many inspiring ideas, sometimes recipes hold us back.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Love the idea of the grilled lentil sandwich. I've never seen that on a menu! Will have to try it.

9:04 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You have to talk about the lentil sandwich.
At first glance, I shuddered. Then I remembered my dad used to smear leftover baked beans on bread, and it was pretty good. Oh, and now I've just reminded myself of canellini bruschetta... Huh! Neat.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

OK cookie, I've talked about it. It was good!

10:09 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Thanks for that, Catherine. Now I'll know what to do if I make one of my own.
I wonder what it is about sandwiches that causes you to crump? Pizzas don't do that to you?

11:28 AM  
Blogger aquaken said...

Glad you liked the grilled lentil sandwich. I work at the aquarium, and will pass the comments along to the executive chef, Dory Ford. He's always changing the menu, and is v. inventive -- especially making sure we always have vegetarian options on the menu.

I had a bite or two of the same sandwich last week when my sister in law visited. She, like you, couldn't get through it alone. It was as yummy as you say. The chevre was what did it for me.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home