Google+

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Leeky Cheesy Valentine Scones



To know me may not be to love me, but forget the chocolate. Savory folk...have I got a Valentine scone for you!

An adaption from one of my favorite scone recipes, Farmgirl's Savory Cheese & Scallion Scones, this version, with lots of luscious leeks and heady Tintern Cheese, creates my favourite scone to date.

I substituted 1 big, fat, hunking leek for the scallions. I chopped it finely and cooked it for about 5 minutes in a little olive oil. I used half Tintern Cheese, a very strong Welsh soft white cheese with scallions and chives, and sharp cheddar. I cut back on the half & half (3/4 cup). I (obviously) used a heart shape cutter and baked the scones for 15-20 minutes.

I can't even begin to tell you how incredible these taste: plain, dripped in butter, melted with cheese. Taste them for yourself!


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine! These scones look wonderful - I love the heart shapes. I've yet to try leeks in scones, but I have a truck-load of them sitting in my fridge, so this may be a nice usage for them. Thanks!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

beautiful - wish i'd had these for breakfast this morning with my sweetheart!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Omigod, who needs chocolate???? These sound incredible. I can never resist a cheese scone!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Freya said...

Yeah, who says you need chocolates on V-Day (although they're never turned away)? These look delicious!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Mmmmmm! I'm not even a scone fan, but these sound wonderful!!

2:16 PM  
Blogger adrienne said...

MmmMmm! Cheese is just as close to my heart as chocolate. These look great. I might have to roll up my sleeves and get baking this weekend!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine,

These are the first hart shaped scones I have ever seen. This cheesy version will be a hit with my loved one.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

You simply have to try these - they were the best! I admit I ate most of them. We also made a sandwich from them with Morningstar "sausage" and "bacon" - awesome!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These sound fabulous. And I just love the heart shapes. And I'm drooling. . .

So glad you're still enjoying (and tinkering with) my recipe! : )

1:49 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

farmgirl - these are my fav. variation to date!

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home