Google+

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Spinach, Red Onion & Feta Pizza


This Spinach, Red Onion & Feta pizza was wonderfully light and fresh tasting. Inspired by Spanakopita, the flavor of all three topping ingredients came through distinctly and were delicious together.

I brushed a Boboli thin crust with olive oil and minced garlic and sprinkled a light layer of grated mozzarella on top. I minced two garlic cloves and sauted them in a tbsp. of olive oil for 1-2 minutes. I then added 5-6 oz fresh baby spinach leaves (stalks removed) and sauted for 2-3 minutes, adding a few drops of water. I seasoned the spinach with salt and pepper and then placed it on a chopping board, chopped it, then placed it in a sieve and removed extra liquid by pressing with the back of a wooden spoon. I sprinkled the spinach over the pizza.

I wiped out my skillet and cooked fine slices of red onion in a smidgen of olive oil for 2 minutes. I added these to the pizza and then topped everything off with generous amounts of crumbled feta. Baked at 450 for 8 minutes.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I'm loving your pizza ideas. I don't eat white flour but I just got a Bob's Red Mill whole grain baking book which has some recipes for 100% whole wheat crust that I'm going to try. They use white whole wheat and whole wheat flour mixed, which I've heard gives good results. Saving this one to del.icio.us to try.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

You are the pizza queen! I love the combinations you come up with. I'm with Kalyn -- I'm trying not to eat white flour crust when I make pizza at home. I just posted an easy whole wheat crust recipe that you can make ahead and freeze, so it's ready whenever the pizza urge strikes.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love feta & spinach pizza and this looks like a good version. Now, if I hadn't already planned on chili for tonight's football gaems I'd be running out for the ingredients for this!

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Cranky calls this "spanakopizza"!!
Ha ha.
What a great idea.

11:46 AM  
Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Terrific. I'm a big fan of Spanakopita! You always pull me in with your pizzia! Looks terrific.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine, Your recipes are truly inspiring and always within the realm of those of us who only dream of being gourmet chefs. Thanks for sharing recipes we can count on!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine, I love your pizza ideas - they always are such great inspiration for our meatless meals. I definately want to try this combination!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Wow! thanks to all of you for your kind words!

cookie - now, why didn't I think of that?

traveller one - welcome! I love big taste that's easy to make and this was one of those recipes.

cookingchat - welcome to you also! Chili for football games make sense.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like something you'd find in a NY pizzeria. Yummy! And, the Boboli is a great substitute for regular pizza dough. Thanks for all the great ideas. I enjoy visiting your blog.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home