Google+

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Portobellos Stuffed with Potatoes, Leeks, Cheddar & Chard


Hurray! I'm the proud new owner of a Canon Powershot A640!

I'm really into leeks right now. So, if you have a favorite vegetarian leek recipe, post it, email it to me and I'll do a vegetarian leek round-up.

Tonight's menu, chez Catherine, was portobello mushrooms stuffed with a mixture of mashed potatoes, leeks, scallions, chard, and cheddar cheese. A wonderful comfort food with the elegant touch of stuffed Ports. It's also super-easy! Here's how.

Portobellos Stuffed with Potatoes, Leek, Cheddar & Chard

I large baking potato
1 tbsp butter
I large leek, cut in quarters, and soaked for 5 min
3 scallions
1/2 bunch chard leaves, stemmed and ripped
1/4-1/3 cup milk
S & P
1/2 cup grated cheddar
6 portabello stuffing mushrooms (6oz)

Preheat the oven to 400.

Rinse the potato, poke it with a fork several times, and microwave on high until baked (5-6 mins).

Melt the butter in a skillet and cook the leek for 4 minutes. Add the scallions and chard and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the cheddar and S & P. Add the milk, potato, and grated cheddar.

Peel the mushrooms and brush ousides with olive oil and insides with balsamic vinegar. Stuff with potato mixture and bake for 12 minutes. Serve immediately.

12 Comments:

Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Great photo with the new camera! I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

When you do your leek round-up, could you write a little about leeks--i.e. the taste, the uses, etc.? I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I never use leeks; whenever I see them in a recipe, I substitute regular onions. After reading so many recommendations to wash them carefully because they're gritty, I got the idea that they were more trouble than they were worth. But, if I'm missing out on something good, I could be convinced to give them a try.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you with the new camera!!! Congratulation.
I really love this potato portobella combo, must try it or play my way with it.
I use leeks but don't think I have anything special but I'll think on it.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Susan,

I think you're missing out! Leeks have a much more delicate flavor than onions and can be used as a standalone vegetable. They have a mild sweetness and their flavor is mildly reminiscient of chives. Leeks can have grit, but I've never had any trouble. You just cut a cross in the white end and soak them in water for a while before you chop them. They really add a unique flavor to a dish.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I've been noticing recipes involving portobellos everywhere these days, which is thoroughly frustrating since I've never seen them for sale here. At least leeks are plentiful. :)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Great photo -- enjoy your new camera! This recipe is a winner; I love each of the components on their own, so putting them all together is fabulous. My favorite thing to do with leeks is the very simple leek and potato soup. Classic and always comforting.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! a new camera! You are such a fabulous photographer.. can't wait to see more pics.

I adore leeks as well.. they are so good.

I also loved your last post.. you are adorable.. and it's interesting to read more about you.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

I love-love-love leeks but always wondered what to do with the leftover stalks. So way-back-whenever I figured it out, No Waste Leek Stock (or should that be STALK?!)

Leeks are also a bit like artichokes, inside there's more that's edible than you think. After I cut off the first "white and green part" (and then slice in half and rinse under running water, no gritty problem!), just peel back two or three layers of the stalk, inside will be still more useable leek, more "light green" if you will. Especially with fat leeks, you'll get a whole lot more leek than you're used to.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

How beautiful - I love leeks too! Congrats on the camera!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Thanks Catherine and Alanna for the leek into. I think you've convinced me to give them a try, though I am a little afraid. All the talk about "stalks" has me confused as to which end I'm supposed to use!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Jul - too bad about the ports. You could use big white mushrooms successfully too.

Lydia - I was so tempted to do this soup. Probably will be my next leek post.

melody - I bet you have a great vegan recipe with leeks - let's hear it!

Alanna - I'm a convert to fat leeks!

Vanessa - recipes?

susan - the white ends are the best but you can also use the green parts. Trim like you would scallions.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good LORD those look good! Wow.

I just posted this recipe:

Leek Fritters (Prassokeftedes)

Another favorite recipe in which they feature prominently:

Eggs and Kale Parmesan

2:10 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

btb - thanks of this recipe - looks fab!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home