Google+

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Albion Connection

I've been asked to explain the Albion connection and I think this is worth a post.

Albion, as many of you probably know, is an ancient name for Great Britain. So, Albion Cooks is a bit of a pun on British Cooks, once thought of as awful, but that's all changed now! Being a Brit, I can say this with confidence ;-)
"I used to think...that the English cook the way they do because, through sheer technical deficiency, they had not been able to master the art of cooking. I have discovered to my stupefaction that the English cook that way because that is they way they like it.
--Waverley Root

As you know, I'm not one to overcook a vegetable, but I am partial to vegetarian versions of British food, in all its glory!

Nova Albion, or New Albion, is also the name of the Pacific Coast region explored and claimed for England by Drake back in the 1600's. "The most prevalent theory has been that Drake landed in Marin County, California"(Source: Wikipedia), where of course, we have the lovely Drake's Beach. So Brits and Marin have a strong historical connection.

It's also a personal pun on Albion Books, an Internet publishing company my ex started back in the early 90's. I was soon working for Albion too, but this was before we tied the knot, so I appear as Catherine Hubbard on the Albion website. Albion Books' claim to fame was the book Netiquette by Virginia Shea, the first guide to online etiquette, published in 1994 (think: pre-Amazon.com) . Virginia is a fabulous writer and her book received accolades from around the globe. While some of her advise will be old hat to regular Internet users, I'm sure we can all think of someone who should read this book... like... right now.

Albion is also famous for publishing Philip Baruth's The Millennium Shows, a novel about a Deadhead named Story that begins, "My life is a set-list."

You can read the complete texts of both Netiquette and The Millennium Shows online at Albion.com.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is terrific!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I've been wondering where the name came from.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Thanks for the explanation! I knew that Albion was the ancient name for Britain (what English major doesn't?) but all the rest is new to me. I love the play on Albion Books.

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good reading about Albion!:) I like many Brit dishes.People just bad mouth Brit cuisine.It's not bad.I made Cornish Pasties and Shepherd's Pie!Love them.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, guys. Asha - so true!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

We ask, you answer! Thanks! I just knew it would be a literary answer but hmm, wasn't an English major. And play on Albion Books, THAT I really love.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

thank goodness! I've been wondering about this forever! it might be good to link to this post in your "tell me more" section - so many connections.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Farmgirl Susan said...

Love The Albion Connection(s). And Drake's Beach just happens to be my second favorite beach in Marin (and perhaps anywhere). My very favorite beach? It's right "across" from Drake's--North Beach. I don't know what it's like now since I haven't been there in at least 13 years, but it used to be nearly empty almost all the time (which I never could understand since it is so wonderful). Oh, how I do miss that ocean.

Those stuffed portobello mushrooms look and sound absolutely delish. And it was great to see your photo--you're beautiful! : )

11:32 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

alanna - you wanted to know!

V- good idea! I should do this.

Farmgirl - OK, now I need to know North Beach. We love Drake's Beach too. There's always room there!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home