Google+

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Pumpkin Soup


Happy Pumpkin Day!

One favorite Halloween tradition chez moi is to eat pumpkin soup from a pumpkin bowl. This pureed soup is warming, but not too heavy, spiced with a little curry powder, coriander, and plenty of ground cumin. In addition to the pumpkin puree, I included onions, leeks, winter squash, potatoes, and carrots.

Chock full of healthy veggies, this soup is this week's contribution to Sweetnick's Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food).

Enjoy!

Pumpkin Soup:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
1 leek
1 large carrot, diced
3/4 cup winter squash, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp butter
8 oz vegetable stock
8 oz water (or as desired)
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 can pureed pumpkin
1/4 cup of half & half (or milk)


Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook the onion for 4-5 minutes over med-low heat. Add the garlic, potatoes, leek, carrot, squash, and butter. Stir well, cover, and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Uncover and add the vegetable stock, water, cumin, coriander, and curry powder and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer. Add the pumpkin puree, season, and stir well. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir in the half & half. Simmer for 5 more minutes.

Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender. Serve in a small cleaned out pumpkin (after removing the insides, wipe with a little olive oil), topped with sour cream and cilantro (or mini marshmallows for the kids).


15 Comments:

Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

I love the litte food traditions that develop ... your kids tell their kids who'll tell their kids ...

5:52 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Such a warm, delicious sounding soup, Catherine. I'm saving this one.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Your recipe inspired me to make some pumpkin soup tonight! I didn't have potatoes, so I didn't use those. I also added some chicken stock and 1% milk (plus 2 spoons of half and half). I thickened it up by using the entire can of pumpkin puree plus some frozen sweet corn. The corn was a nice sweet contrast to the savory soup. Thanks for the inspiration! By the way, I have seen your blog for a while, just started a new blog myself..hope you won't mind if I link to you!
Cynthia

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pumpkin bowl - that's a great idea! That pumpkin soup sounds really good too - I just might have to make some!

6:26 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

oh this soup sounds great
and i really like the pumpkin bowl!

teddy

8:35 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Catherine: I read this post on my RSS feed, and it didn't show me the adorable photo. Oh. My. How CUTE.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Your carved pumpkin is beautiful, and the soup sounds delicious. A friend just dropped off a few small sugar pumpkins from her garden.....now I'm inspired.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous treat!!! I will book mark this recipe to try.

I'm hoping our grocery store will still have small pumpkins for a couple more weeks.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hey there!

Welcome Cynthia & Allison, and welcome back old buds!

I really loved this soup. It hit just the right spot between sweet and spicy! It was quite sweet, could be sweetened with apples. Do try it - I think you'll love it!

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home