Google+

Friday, October 27, 2006

Potato, Chard & Tofu Gratin with Garlic & Brie



Potatoes and chard are another of my favorite pairings. This delicious, garlicy gratin featured purple and white potatoes, rainbow chard, tofu, and a little creamy brie.

Inspired by the potato and chard terrine in The Vegetarian Table: France by Georgeanne Brennan, I lowered the fat and pushed up the vegetable content. (BTW, I've followed the original recipe to fabulous results!)

This was a tasty and easy end-of-a-long-week meal. Satisfying and full of color!

Potato, Chard, & Tofu Gratin with Garlic & Brie:

7-8 smaller potatoes, purple and white, scrubbed
I large bunch rainbow chard
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 tbsp olive oil
8 oz extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
2-3 oz brie
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp half & half
Salt & pepper

Preheat the oven to 350.

Put the potatoes in a saucepan. Cover with water and boil until almost tender (about 5 mins). Drain and cover with cold water. Peel and slice into 1/4 " thick slices.

Take the chard, remove the stems and wash carefully. Tear the leaves. I added the chopped stems to my gratin after boiling them gently for 2-3 minutes.

Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the garlic over gently heat (you don't want it to brown) for 1-2 minutes. Add the torn chard leaves, stems (if using) and saute until tender and bright green.

Cover the bottom of an earthernware dish with half of the potato slices and dot with half the butter and brie. Season. Add the chard on top of the potatoes and dot with remaining butter and brie. Season. Add the final layer of potato slices on top of the chard layer and top with half & half.

Bake for 15-20 minutes and serve.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

Potato and chard gratin is definitely one of my favourite new dishes! I'll have to try your rendition...

2:46 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Bonnie,

I really liked this one. Much less cheese, butter, and cream than I usually use for a gratin and I was surprised that I prefered it! The chard was really good.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

This looks delicious Catherine. Don't you love Georgeann's books? I have all of them and refer to them often, especially Potager, which seems to be out of print.

1:56 PM  
Blogger college sports junkie said...

Where does the tofu come into play?

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home