Google+

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Greek Rice Salad with Feta Sauce



Feta sauce! Yes, and it was awesome on a rice salad with grilled veggies and olives.

I was looking for something tasty and substantial to serve with steamed artichokes. I really love artichokes and, as a twentysomething, went through a serious artichoke phase where I ate two for dinner every night for at least a month (they were dinner). I love that they take time to eat. I love to pluck each petal. I eat them with melted butter.

Hubby feels quite differently, which is why I was looking for something substantial to serve after the artichokes. Inspired by a recipe from Vegetarian Times for Greek Rice & Chickpea Salad, I decided on a Greek Rice Salad dish (mine was quite different). I grilled red onions, peppers, zucchini and tomatoes in my grill pan with a little olive oil and added them to some cooked white rice. But, just adding crumbled feta seemed too routine. I needed a feta sauce.

I found this recipe on Epicurious for Grilled Zucchini and Tomatoes with Feta Sauce. I made the sauce in my mini prep: feta, low-fat sour cream, lemon juice, olive oil, and two minced garlic cloves.

I folded the sauce into the salad and added black olives and chopped basil. It wasn't the prettiest dish, but it was absolutely delicious! The sauce would also make a great dip for fresh or steamed veggies and would be a treat on baked potatoes! If you like feta, you gotta try it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

What a great idea! I just brought home some goat's-milk feta from a farm up the road. It's tangy and creamy. I'll definitely try it in a sauce (usually I just nibble on the way home, right from the container!).

4:09 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Lydia,

In fact, there's a yummy sounding goat cheese sauce from The Whole Foods Cookbook I've been wanting to try made with goat cheese, white wine, shallots, and heavy cream. Gosh! How it could it not taste good with those ingredients! Thanks so much for being a regular commenter here, I do enjoy the community!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Oh yeah - that goat cheese sauce sounds delish! I just had a goat cheese and walnut pesto dip last night served w/ pita chips that was TO DIE FOR! I'll have to recreate it one of these days.
I made my own, hearty, version of a greek salad - I call it a deconstructed dolmas salad, similarily inspired as yours.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home