Google+

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tofu Satay with Coconut-Peanut Sauce

tofu_satay_8616

This marinated and baked Tofu Satay was absolutely delicious! On tiny skewers with cucumber and sweet baby tomatoes and served with a coconut peanut sauce. Can you say yum?

The recipe comes from The Candle Cafe Cookbook, a cookbook based on the food served at The Candle Cafe, a vegan restaurant in New York. I had to buy two new vinegars, brown rice vinegar and umeboshi vinegar to make the marinade, but the rest of the ingredients were standards in a veggie kitchen.

This recipe is my contribution to this week's Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food). Tofu, of course, is high in protein, but its also an excellent source of iron, copper, and manganese. Tofu also contains those important Omega-3 fats and the antioxidant Selenium. Cucumber offers more than a fresh taste; its also a good source of vitamin C and good for your skin.

I think this is my favorite tofu so far, and I love the fact that its baked rather than fried. I marinated it for 8 hours in the fridge. There was a separate recipe for the Coconut-Peanut Sauce, but as many of the ingredients were the same as the marinade, I simply mixed the leftover marinade with peanut butter, chopped jalapeno, a little coconut milk and some extra cilantro - it was great!

Tofu Satay with Coconut-Peanut Sauce (adapted from The Candle Cafe Cookbook):

Marinade:
1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
1 tbsp umeboshi vinegar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1/8 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 tsp mint, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced

8 oz firm tofu, cut into cubes
1/3 English Cucumber, cut into 1 inch rounds, then quartered
Sweet cherry or pear tomatoes

Sauce:
Leftover marinade
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 1/2 tbsp coconut milk
1/3 jalapeno, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp cilantro, chopped


Combine the marinade ingredients in a mini-prep and blend until smooth. Place the tofu cubes into a tupperware and pour the marinade over the tofu. Put the lid on the tupperware and shake until all the tofu is coated. Put in the fridge, shaking, occasionally for 8 hours (the cookbook recommends 1-24 hours).

Preheat the oven to 350. Place the tofu on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the tofu over and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. It should be nicely browned. Remove and allow the tofu to cool.

To make the sauce, add the peanut butter, coconut milk, chopped jalapeno, and extra cilantro to the leftover marinade and whisk until well combined.

Serve the tofu on a small skewer with a chunk of cucumber and a cherry tomato.

Serves 3 as a main along with rice and steamed veggies.

8 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

This looks beautiful and delicious!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Susan Voisin said...

These are so cute! I particularly love the one with the little yellow tomato. And the sauce sounds divine!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Thanks for the recipe! This looks fantastic. Glad it turned out well considering all the new ingredients you had to buy. Let us know how you like the new cook book!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, everyone. I loved these and they were cute. I wasn't sure how I'd like the sweet tomatoes with the coconut peanut sauce, but actually, it was wonderful!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you pair peanut with coconut, I'm there! [PS: Blogger is not letting me comment to you lately. Argh.]

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great.... I'm glad to hear that there is a good recipe from this book.. I've made a few and was not impressed.. but have heard mixed reviews...

this looks great...
-melody

10:38 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Karina - I'm having the comments problem too - on my own blog and others. I think its a Blogger problem, as I have problems uploading pics too, and my DSL problems are still not resolved. grrrr!

Melody - I heard there were problems with measures in some of the recipes. I have several recipes from this book I plan to make, so we'll see. I really liked the tofu, but heard their sauce recipe had too much soy sauce, so I winged it on my own. What the hell does a Vegan eat anyway recently posted about their pot pie recipe, which also looks tempting.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Catherine,
I've received 2 returned message that I left on your blog, marked 'undeliverable'. Yet when I go to the posts where I left them, they're there! Go figure! I haven't been having any trouble with Blogger in the last week. All my photos upload beautifully, something that I've had trouble with in the past. Sorry for your troubles.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home