Google+

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Squash Stuffed with Chickpea Curry



Steamed pattypan squash is stuffed with a spicy chickpea curry in this healthy vegetable main!

Inspired by a recipe for curry-stuffed eggplant and by Alanna's darling stuffed pattypan squash, this dish was attractive and tasty. I followed Alanna's instructions on cutting out the squash, but rather than baking mine with the stuffing, I steamed the squash for around 10 minutes. It had a wonderful fresh texture and was the perfect edible container for the hot curry. Usually, I make cucumber raita to provide that fresh taste to contrast curry, but in this dish the squash neatly takes up that role.

The chickpea curry was a simple affair: chickpeas, chard, and the removed squash, onion, garlic, curry powder, and toasted cumin seeds.

This dish is my contribution to this week's Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food). Summer squash and chickpeas are excellent sources of manganese, an important mineral that contributes to the body's energy production and antioxidant defenses. Chickpeas are also packed full of protein and iron and excellent sources of fiber. Summer squash is also a good source of Vitamin C. (source:World's Healthiest Foods).

We enjoyed this with dal, cilantro chutney, naan, and a little light sour cream. Yum!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great picture! And it sounds very tasty!

Brandie
http://kajismom.blogspot.com

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How pretty is that? I'm so happy acorn squash is back in season.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

What a gorgeous photo! Yay for the fall/winter squashes. You've done them proud.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Very pretty! Nice to see the winter squashes emerge ... have to say I'm not "quite" ready!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I'm glad to see so many squash fans, but these little pattypan squash are summer squash and, happily, entirely edible!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Ooops! I think it's the plate, it makes it look like there's a green skin on the yellow flesh! So much for our garden identification skills however ...

3:35 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Now I feel guilty. This is much healthier than my ARF contribution this week. Looks good too.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Absolutely beautiful. I am keeping my eyes out for those cute little squashes!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Wow, this looks like something I would do! I hadn't thought of a curry filling, though. It's making me hungry just thinking about it. Great idea!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Great idea and beautiful photo!

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home