Google+

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Vegetable & Tofu Steamed Dumplings


These steamed dumplings, filled with tofu and veggies, were phenomenal! Filled with a mixture of cabbage, carrots, cilantro, tofu, red pepper, ginger and onion with sesame oil and hoisin, they were packed full of healthy flavor while being fabulous tender mouthfuls. I ate them simply, dipped in soy sauce.

I sort of followed this Alton Brown recipe on the Food Network, but as this was lunch for one, I significantly decreased quantities (I made 10 dumplings and ate them all!) I'm easily intimidated by fiddly recipes, so sealing the dumplings was a challenge. Mine were understuffed, although I didn't realize this until after I steamed them. Still, had I realized how easy and quick they were to prepare, I'd have made these a long time ago. I was pleasantly surprised at how close they were to dumplings I've eaten in restaurants.

7 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I'll bet your dumplings were better than anything one could find in a restaurant! They look wonderful!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

These look awesome. I haven't seen any dumpling look this appetizing ever!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Christine & Dori - thanks! You just made my afternoon!

3:01 PM  
Blogger thesundaybaker said...

Hi

The dumplings look pretty stuffed to me. It is better to understuff than overstuff especially if you are novice dumpling maker. Overstuff dumplings can explode. Tasty but very messy.

You also don't have to crimp the top. Just wet one side with beaten egg white or cornstarch and water paste (or water when you become more comfortable with dumpling making) and seal the edges together. Just tap the bottom of the dumpling in the palm of your hand to create a flat bottom for easier steaming.

Last time I made a large batch of dumplings was with my Mom and Po Po (materal grandma) Each of us with a different style and speed. Cook a few and then freeze the rest for future meals. Just steam the frozen dumplings (no need to defrost)a minute or two longer than fresh. Just as tasty.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Your dumplings look just as good, and twice as fresh, as many I've had in Chinatown dim sum restaurants!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Sundaybaker - Thanks for all the dumnpling tips!

Thanks Lydia - the super-freshness was a major factor in how good these tasted.

10:29 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, yummy! I'm inspired. xxx

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home