Google+

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Steamed Cabbage, Edamame, & Snap Peas with Tofu, Avocado, and Peanut Sauce



In this week's green-themed contribution to Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food), we have cabbage, edamame, snap peas, and avocado. The veggies were steamed with tofu (not the avocado, of course), drizzled with spicy peanut sauce, and topped with sliced avocado and black and white sesame seeds. Not only did this dish taste great, it's full of good health!

Did you know cabbage is an excellent source of Vitamin C and can help protect you against cancer? Edamame, a.k.a. soybeans, provide a ton of protein and lower your cholesterol, unlike most protein sources. And sugary snap peas, a cross between peas and snow peas, have lots of Vitamin K to keep your bones strong, as do avocados.

The quick peanut sauce recipe comes from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I've been making this sauce for years and even have it tabbed so I can find it quickly. It's super easy and very tasty and turns a few veggies into a meal!

Quick Peanut Sauce (adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone):

3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp chile oil

In a rounded edge saucepan, combine all the ingredients and cook over lowest heat, stirring constantly. As it starts to dry out, add water to achieve your desired consistency (I like it quite liquidy). Remove from the heat and serve over veggies and tofu.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooooh, avocado sucks me in every time! Looks divine.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Oh! Be still my heart!! Catherine you're going to turn this carnivore into a vegetarian! Stunningly beautiful photo.

2:14 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I need this for dinner.. Catherine... I need it! Why must you tempt me so? Instead, I'm sitting here, hot and drinking ice water. I doubt I'll eat until way later if at all.. and then it will probably be a soymilk/fruit smoothie.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

That sure looks...green! And yummy. The sauce looks good and easy. I'll give it a try!

8:29 PM  
Blogger PatL said...

Wow, you've hit on about six cylinders; I love everything in this recipe and am excited to give it a try. On the "to-try" pile it goes!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home