Google+

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Mushroom & Basil Pizza



This palatable pizza, topped with garlicy mushrooms, truffle cheese, onions, and basil has the thinnest spread of pizza sauce on a boboli thin crust.

Next came a layer of shredded mozzarella. I sauted the onion for about five minutes in olive oil then added a teaspoon of vermouth to the pan to add a caramalized flavor. I then added the sliced mushrooms to the skillet, with a teaspoon of butter and a minced garlic clove. While they cooked for a few minutes (until the mushrooms release their juices), I chopped about ten basil leaves (fresh from the garden) and mixed them with olive oil and salt. I added this to the mushrooms and cooked for about one minute longer. I spread the mushrooms over the mozzarella, sprinkled a few pine nuts, and topped the pizza with shavings of Cacio di Bosco al Tartufo, an Italian pecorino cheese with white truffles.

The result was a delicate tasting, juicy pizza. I loved the truffle pecorino flavor. This cheese would be awesome shaved on top of a salad or pasta (must get more).

Note: You can now click on the photo for a larger version.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

Yum! Thanks for the heads up about the vegan bento, awesome link. I'm a groupie there now too.

That sucks about the no nuts rule. What about dairy, pork and the other things that kill the poor kids.. work for a ban on that while you are chatting at your son's PTA. :)

10:44 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Dori - There's a kid at their school who goes into severe shock over peanuts and they don't want to risk any contact. I can understand the rule, but it does cut out one of my kids favs. (PB&Js) and all the other nut butters. My kids aren't vegan, however, so its not as tough as it might be.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum, lovely looking pizza!

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks excellent. Boboli's are pretty good.
Have to try for that Cacio di Bosco al Tartufo cheese at Whole Foods next trip. I love to find new cheeses.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

tanna - I'm not crazy about boboli, but they're handy in a pinch. The cheese is fab!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Hello Catherine

Just a short line to let you know that I have featured you as one of my five blogs on Blog Day

Dianne

1:13 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Catherine, I'm not a big Boboli fan, but Whole Foods and other markets are starting to sell "artisan" pizza crusts (in the refrigerated aisles) that are pretty good. My garden's overflowing with basil right now, too (because...duh...I thought my plants were doing so poorly in the spring that I stuck in an extra dozen, just in case!) so I'm looking for lots of different ways to use it. Mushrooms and basil are such a great combination.

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home