Google+

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Corn Tortillas with Refried Beans, Grilled Veggies & Avocado Salsa


Delicious warmed corn tortillas, spread with refried beans, then piled high with grilled zucchini, peppers, and onion, and topped with a fresh homemade salsa of heirloom tomatoes, avocado, red onions, jalapenos, and cilantro.

This healthy meal incorporates a number of ideas I picked up from perusing the book Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss, namely "double the vegetables" (actually a recommendation for eating out), and for three weeks of his six week program, Dr. Hyman forbids dairy (look Ma, no cheese!), wheat, and gluten to clear the slate on potential allergies. While I don't plan on following Dr. Hyman's diet (it isn't vegetarian), it did get me thinking. Would I feel better if I cut out wheat? (I've never tried it.) While giving up dairy isn't going to happen for me, I'm definitely interested in moving towards less reliance on cheese for protein (and taste).

I have to say I was surprised I didn't miss the sharp cheddar I would normally have grated over this dish. I realize, much as I love the taste of cheese, it covers up the taste of other things. The sprouted corn tortillas were fabulously fresh tasting, the roasted peppers and tomatoes were juicy and flavorful, heck, even the refried beans tasted good without the cheese!

And, although it seemed like a huge plate of food (and I ate the lot), I didn't have the weighed down feeling. In fact, I felt energized.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

My husband, who eats tacos every day for lunch, would love this. I'm going to check out this book. Thanks for the tip, Catherine.

9:04 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

First of all, those tortillas look amazing! Did you make them or buy them and if so can I have the recipe or brand?

I've found that I am rarely craving cheese anymore, which really amazes me. I know what you mean by it covering up flavors. I'm shocked that I love my vegan pesto just as much as regular. I've been adding a bit of miso in dishes with cheese and it seems to hit some of the same flavor notes..

10:36 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Catherine, these look yummy. I think one of the things cheese adds is the taste of salt, so the miso would help with that. Also, I find that a generous sprinkle of hot sauce really distracts my palate, so I don't miss salt or cheese. I confess, I might be just the teensiest bit addicted to hot sauce.....!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Melody - the sprouted corn tortillas are by Food for Life and are made from freshly sprouted 100% organic whole kernel corn. They were fantastic! What kind of miso do you use?

Hi Lydia - I like hot sauce too. Thanks for the tip!

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started the Ultra Metabolism diet and was at Whole Foods last night and couldn't find the sprouted grain corn tortillas. Does anyone have a suggestion where I can find these in Atlanta? thx

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home