Google+

Monday, July 03, 2006

Pear & Spring Mix Salad with Coriander Vinaigrette


I recently enjoyed the Coastal Salad at Coco 500, particularly the coriander vinaigrette, which had toasted coriander seeds rather than fresh coriander (a.k.a. cilantro). It was so simple and tasty, I vowed to experiment with the delicious coriander vinaigrette.

This evening I made this delicious version, minus the frisee, and it was gorgeous! While not necessarily a close replica of the Coastal Salad, here's a salad I could happily eat year-round.

Next time, I'll skip the crushed toasted coriander seeds - unnecessary and not a good texture.

Pear & Spring Mix Salad with Coriander Vinaigrette:

6 oz Organic Spring Mix
1 D'Anjou Pear, thinly sliced
handful of almonds
1-1/2 tbsp meyer lemon olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp white wine
12 coriander seeds
1/2 tsp ground coriander
s & p

Toast the coriander seeds in a skillet over med. heat for 3 minutes. ( I crushed about half of them - don't bother - leave them whole.)

Toast the almonds in a skillet for 3 minutes.

Whisk together meyer lemon olive oil, vinegar, wine, coriander seeds, and ground coriander.

Combine the spring mix, pear, and almonds in a bowl. Toss with the vinaigrette. Season to taste.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

This looks gorgeous. This is throw-together summer food at it's best, which is what I need right now, while I suffer the English heat-wave

:)

2:49 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I'll bet that's delicious.. I adore freshly toasted coriander seeds too.. but agree about the texture, especially if you crush them without a spice mill.. I wonder if you could toaste them in some of the olive oil and let them infuse the oil for a day or so? Of course with the myer lemon oil it's better not heated in my opinion. I don't mind the whole seeds, but my kids and husband don't like them.

I'll look for an email like on your profile to send you the soup recipe.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home