Google+

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Grilled Zucchini Salad with Purslane & Tomato



The fresh Lemon -Dijon dressing perfectly highlights the flavors of the smoky grilled zucchini, crisp purslane, and juicy tomatoes in this recipe for Grilled Zucchini Salad with Purslane and Tomato from Epicurious.

There's nothing I love more than a simple recipe that's sublime in flavor. This salad greatly exceeded my expectations!

So what's purslane? Also known as poor man's spinach, purslane tastes rather like a very fat-leafed, succulent spinach, with a tangy lemony flavor. It looks more like watercress, with small leaves and a thick stalk:


Purslane can be used in salads (fatoush, potato), soups, and in place of spinach. Although considered a weed by many, purslane's reputation is on the up-swing, mostly because it contains an Omega-3 fatty acid (an antioxidant) and is a good source of Vitamins A & C. This recipe, therefore, is this week's contribution to Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food).

And special thanks to cookiecrumb for introducing me to this healthy and delicious herb at our local farmers' market!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, now I'm adding purslane to my shopping list.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I have purslane growing in my garden, and since it's too hot to weed, I'll probably be eating it soon.

9:19 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Aw, thanks, Catherine.
Tanna, follow Kalyn's lead: if you find it growing as a weed, the leaves are succulent and tasty. The commercial version in Catherine's recipe is much more tender, however.

12:04 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

OMG, we used to have that growing everywhere... I loved it as a kid.. (it grew wild).. yum! It has such a wonderful taste.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I swear I saw some growing at the Civic Ctr in San Rafael today~

10:05 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've got tons of purslane in the garden taking over the chard. With the bumper crop of zucchini and the ripening tomatoes we're set.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Just wanted to let you know that I spotlighted this post for my South Beach Recipes of the Week, with your photo (with a photo credit for you, of course) and a link to your recipe. Please let me know if you have any thoughts about how I've done this.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home