Google+

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Flatbread with Zahtar ("Lebanese pizza")


I was introduced to toasted flatbread with zahtar (or za'atar) by a university friend whose dad was Lebanese. She used to eat it for a snack, or for breakfast with creamy Greek yogurt. I found it very exotic and appealing.

I had long ago forgotten the name of the fragrant herb mixture she mixed with olive oil, so I was excited to recently rediscover zahtar, an aromatic mixture of sumac, thyme, sesame seed and salt popular in Middle Eastern cooking. Zahtar is commonly served with flatbread or pita with olive oil, but can also be sprinkled on salads and used to season potatoes.

For the scrumptious "pizza" above, I used Trader Joe's Middle Eastern Flat Bread brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with zahtar, and added thinly sliced tomatoes and a little feta. Popped it under the broiler for 3 minutes - a tasty quick lunch that still seems exotic and appealing!


Zahtar Links:

  • Ideas for using Zahtar

  • Zahtar recipe

  • Tofu Feta with Zahtar from Notes from the Vegan Feast Kitchen

  • Moroccan Banana Chips by BOS89.nl
  • 7 Comments:

    Blogger Amy said...

    Oh, that sounds relatively easy - but exotic and tasty

    3:22 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tasty seasonings. I think it's just helpful to keep me thinking about different combos. Thanks!

    6:32 AM  
    Blogger Dori said...

    This bread with zatar looks awesome.

    8:07 PM  
    Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

    When I was cataloguing my pantry a few weeks ago, I found some sumac on the spice rack. Can't remember the last time I used it, which of course means I should throw it out and start again. I was tempted not to replace it, but your post makes me want to make zahtar just to try this "pizza".

    4:45 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I found your comments on searching for zahtar. My husband is Lebanese & I craved it while I was pregnant all 3 times. I use it exactly like you described on the Trader Joe's bread except I pre-mix the zahtar & EVOO in a bowl & spread like that.

    You can also use pita bread split in 1/2. Brush with mix & broil. Dip into Lebni (kefir cheese - we call it Lebanese sour cream!).

    12:43 PM  
    Blogger the Muse said...

    I love zahtar bread! Great recipe! Will have to try this!

    9:35 AM  
    Blogger AQ: said...

    Perfecto! I love all of these... I just had a fat serving of lebne with dried mint, cumin and olives and was craving zahtar on my pita!

    12:03 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home