Thursday, June 29, 2006

Pear & Gorgonzola Pizza

I've seen a number of tasty looking Pear & Blue Cheese pizzas out there recently (28 Cooks & Savoring the Moment), so when I saw some fabulous looking D'Anjou pears, I immediately envisioned a pizza like this:

Thinly sliced pear and lots of Gorgonzola, topped with walnuts!

This pizza was heavenly and we enjoyed it alfresco with a nice glass of Chianti. It was just the right level of richness: fabulous taste, but not overwhelming. A truly satisfying pizza, I managed to stop myself at three slices!

I used Trader Joe's plain pizza dough and covered the dough with a light round of shredded mozzarella. I sliced the pear, squeezed a little lemon juice over it, then arranged it on the pizza. I grated the Gorgonzola directly over the pears, tossed a few walnut pieces on top, and brushed the rim of the dough with olive oil. Ten minutes on the pizza stone at 450 and we were ready to eat!


Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ah! We're thinking alike this week: fruit and bread as a savory dish. I love your pizza.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Tanna said...

How divine! I think I know what's for dinner tonight and a salad! LovePerfect.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Vanessa said...

Love this! So easy , so sophis! I’m interested in the Trader Joes pizza dough – is it any good?

3:34 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi everyone!

This is a winner!

Vanessa - I've had very positive results with the Tj pizza dough although lately I've had some quality issues - little black specs in the dough. I returned some to the store and no explanation was offered. My guess - either herbs were getting mixed into the plain dough or it was mold developing. As with all TJ products, you need to check the sell-by dates very carefully. When I picked up the dough for this pizza, I went through a number of packages that showed the black specs before getting a clean one. That's pretty off-putting. That said, I've had great results generally and you can't beat the $1 price tag.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Mindy T. said...

Who knew pear pizza would strike such a chord? This looks like another great variation. Yum!

12:15 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Looks and sounds divine ...

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home