Google+

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Spaghetti with tomatoes, Basil, and Green Olives


It was 6:45 p.m. I had just come home from a run (well, jog-walk, actually, I'm just getting back into it after an eight-year, two-kid hiatus) and had no idea what we were going to have for dinner. I needed something fast, something healthy, something that packed a big taste. Suddenly, in my mind's-eye, I saw this spaghetti dish!

It was as good as I imagined. Simple, bursting with fresh flavor and hearty enough to make a meal. The green olives really made this dish come alive and I wasn't even tempted to add cheese.

Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Basil, and Green olives (serves 2)
6-8 oz spaghetti
2 tbsp butter or olive oil
green garlic, white parts and light green, chopped or 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large tomato, chopped
6-8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
10 small green olives, chopped
salt and pepper

Cook the spaghetti per directions (I like to add a little olive oil to the water with strand pastas). Melt the butter or oil in a skillet and cook the green garlic until tender. If using garlic cloves, cook 1-2 minutes - you don't want it to brown.

Combine the tomato, basil and green olives in a bowl and season.

When pasta is done cooking, drain and add the garlic/butter. Serve pasta into bowls and top with the tomato mixture and ground pepper.

3 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Hi VK,
I've seen a few heirlooms now. I used farmer's market tomatoes grown indoors and they are awfully tasty. Amazingly, the basil was also a farmers' market purchase, although there wasn't much to go around (I had to ask).

7:33 PM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Looks great!

Take a look at the dish I made...I'd love some feedabck!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Harmonia said...

I will have to look for that moosewood cookbook...thanks! I have another one on hold to purchase! When I buy it...I will post it! Can't wait!

Thanks for the pat on the back!
:)

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home